From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
To: Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>,
	Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Cc: Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Unable to find libgif/libungif on RHEL 6
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 11:36:09 -0700	[thread overview]

Kaushal Modi wrote:
> Something else is not right in my system.. but at least I am glad I can
> still build emacs, be it without gif.

Yes, that's what I do.  Your other problems can undoubtedly be fixed by using
the proper combination of environment variables and configure options, though
these days it's typically not worth the trouble.

> Just as we have LIBOTF_CFLAGS, LIBOTF_LIBS,
> can we not have LIBGIF_CFLAGS and LIBGIF_LIBS?

It'd be a pain, as LIBOTF_CFLAGS is generated automatically by configure.ac via
EMACS_CHECK_MODULES via PKG_CHECK_MODULES via pkg-config, but libgif typically
isn't packaged and so we'd have to do a lot of stuff by hand in configure.ac.
This what we did ten or twenty years ago but nowadays it's typically not worth
the trouble.  Builders who care about this and are expert enough can set env
vars and configure options accordingly, which is about the best that can be
expected for this messy area.