On 05/21/2015 09:55 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > IOW, the "CRLF->LF translation" that the comment mentions is done on > all platforms. Or am I missing something? I was thinking about the case where a source file has mostly lines with LF but a few lines end in CRLF. E.g., the attached file has a CR at the end of the second line. In that case, Emacs doesn't strip the trailing CRs on GNU/Linux. Wouldn't the byte counts get messed up then? Come to think of it, one of the etags test cases did that before I removed the CR (and perhaps that was part of the test...).