* Re: [Emacs-diffs] cairo 6445ee0: Merge branch 'master' into cairo
       [not found] ` <E1YtzqP-0005Ma-6Z@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2015-05-18 17:43   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-05-18 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Jan D

>     Merge branch 'master' into cairo

Are we getting closer to the point where the merge can go in the
other way?

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] cairo 6445ee0: Merge branch 'master' into cairo
@ 2015-05-19 14:23     ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2015-05-19 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi.

Stefan Monnier skrev den 2015-05-18 19:43:
>>      Merge branch 'master' into cairo
>
> Are we getting closer to the point where the merge can go in the
> other way?

I can merge anytime.  The only things I know about is lacking XBM
support (not sure it is worth the effort), and the scrolling performance
is not great.  Possible there are some type of images that don't display
right.  But nothing major that prevents a merge.

	Jan D.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] cairo 6445ee0: Merge branch 'master' into cairo
@ 2015-05-19 18:40       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-05-19 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan D.; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I can merge anytime.  The only things I know about is lacking XBM support
> (not sure it is worth the effort), and the scrolling performance is not
> great.  Possible there are some type of images that don't display right.
> But nothing major that prevents a merge.

Then, if you think it's helpful to merge it, feel free to do so,

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] cairo 6445ee0: Merge branch 'master' into cairo
@ 2015-05-20 12:16       ` Yasushi SHOJI
From: Yasushi SHOJI @ 2015-05-20 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

On Tue, 19 May 2015 23:23:12 +0900,
Jan D. wrote:

> I can merge anytime.  The only things I know about is lacking XBM
> support (not sure it is worth the effort), and the scrolling
> performance is not great.  Possible there are some type of images that
> don't display right.  But nothing major that prevents a merge.

Nothing major but:

 - the current tip of the branch doesn't compile w/ --with-cairo.  it
   seems like git merge machinery messed some lines up.  this should
   be easy to fix.

 - x_cr_destroy_surface() is not defined but used outside of USE_CAIRO
   ifdef in src/xterm.c::handle_one_xevent().  this is also caused by
   a merge commit fb77948660d9, which makes the tree unbuildable w/
   --without-cairo.

 - resizing emacs frame displays:

      Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion 'extra_space >= 0' failed

   not sure why but it seems to display it when I make width narrower
   than some criteria.

 - make emacs frame much narrower cause "height width tool-tip at the
   center of the frame (don't know how to call it)" start to "drop"
   like rain drop in the frame, as if y value of the tool-tip is
   radically changing.  Also, the height of the frame gets larger.

just my 2 cents.
--
            yashi @ debian unstable

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] cairo 6445ee0: Merge branch 'master' into cairo
@ 2015-05-20 13:58         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-05-20 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasushi SHOJI; +Cc: emacs-devel

>  - make emacs frame much narrower cause "height width tool-tip at the
>    center of the frame (don't know how to call it)" start to "drop"

Not sure exactly what you're referring to, but it sounds like you're
referring to the little box that gets displayed on top of everything and
which indicates the size of the frame while you're resizing.
AFAIK, this box is drawn/controlled by your window manager and not by
Emacs (at least in the normal X build).

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] cairo 6445ee0: Merge branch 'master' into cairo
@ 2015-05-23 10:49         ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2015-05-23 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: yashi, emacs-devel

Den 2015-05-19 20:40, Stefan Monnier skrev:
>> I can merge anytime.  The only things I know about is lacking XBM support
>> (not sure it is worth the effort), and the scrolling performance is not
>> great.  Possible there are some type of images that don't display right.
>> But nothing major that prevents a merge.
>
> Then, if you think it's helpful to merge it, feel free to do so,

Merge done.

You must explicitly request cairo with --with-cairo to configure.
I think the value of cairo right now is an example for those trying to do
something on Wayland or other systems outside of X.

The only advantage of using cairo is printing, see x-export-frames
and the three Gtk+ only functions x-page-setup-dialog, x-get-page-setup and
x-print-frames-dialog

Yasushi SHOJI said:

>  - the current tip of the branch doesn't compile w/ --with-cairo.  it
>    seems like git merge machinery messed some lines up.  this should
>    be easy to fix.
>
>  - x_cr_destroy_surface() is not defined but used outside of USE_CAIRO
>    ifdef in src/xterm.c::handle_one_xevent().  this is also caused by
>    a merge commit fb77948660d9, which makes the tree unbuildable w/
>    --without-cairo.

I fixed these.

	Jan D.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] cairo 6445ee0: Merge branch 'master' into cairo
@ 2015-05-23 14:18           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-05-23 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: yashi, emacs-devel

> Merge done.

> You must explicitly request cairo with --with-cairo to configure.
> I think the value of cairo right now is an example for those trying to do
> something on Wayland or other systems outside of X.

> The only advantage of using cairo is printing, see x-export-frames
> and the three Gtk+ only functions x-page-setup-dialog, x-get-page-setup and
> x-print-frames-dialog

Thanks Jan,