On 3/25/15 11:37 AM, Yuri Khan wrote: > On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 12:19 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote: > >> I'm mystified as to what the git index is for. What's its motivation, >> what's it used for, what does it gain me in exchange for the extra >> complexity? Does anybody have a link to a justification? I'm genuinely >> curious about this. > > I view the index as a convenience. > > The use case goes like this. I work on a feature. At the same time, I > notice some coding style violations, or bad spelling/grammar, or > possible enhancements unrelated to the feature. Git certainly makes this pleasant (especially with `git add -p`). Back before git I wanted the same type of features so a friend and I wrote "commit-patch" (http://www.porkrind.org/commit-patch/). It supports a bunch of different VCSes (including git) and integrates well with Emacs--you basically get a diff somehow (`C-x v =` or `C-x v D` for me, usually), edit the diff using Emacs's handy diff mode tools, then commit that patch with `C-c C-c`. I find it's *much* easier to deal with than magit or anything else I've seen so far, and it's heavenly to have fine-grained commit control even when stuck with CVS and SVN. -David