On 03/24/2015 10:26 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 10:24:16 -0700 >> From: Daniel Colascione >> CC: rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org >> >>>> Yes. It would mean VC mode could not be used to work on private development >>>> branches. >>> >>> Why cannot VC determine whether a branch is private or not? >> >> It's a matter of convention, not something vc can query. Whether I want >> to push depends on a lot more than what vc, or any automated tool, can >> figure out in the general case by sniffing around the build environment. > > You are answering a different question. I asked why it's hard to > determine that a branch is a private one, not to determine my intent > to push or not. "Private" is also a convention. Git doesn't distinguish "private" from "public" branches: that distinction is a matter of convention.