* gnupg interface
@ 2008-05-14 22:57 Hans Halvorson
From: Hans Halvorson @ 2008-05-14 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I built Emacs 23.0.60.1 from CVS on May 14, and it appears that something
breaks gnupg interface packages such as crypt++.el and Easypg.

When I try to open a gpg encrypted file (sekritz.gpg) with crypt++.el,
Emacs hangs with minibuffer message:

/home/anonymous/sekrit: 0% (0/1622)

When I try to open with easypg (M-x epa-decrypt-file), Emacs hangs with
minibuffer message:

Decrypting sekritz.gpg...0% (0/1622)

There is no additional information in *Messages*.  I would be grateful
for any advice on how to diagnose the problem.

-Hans

* Re: gnupg interface
@ 2008-05-15  4:12 ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2008-05-15  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Halvorson; +Cc: emacs-devel

2008/5/15 Hans Halvorson <hhalvors@princeton.edu>:
> I built Emacs 23.0.60.1 from CVS on May 14, and it appears that something
> breaks gnupg interface packages such as crypt++.el and Easypg.
>
> When I try to open a gpg encrypted file (sekritz.gpg) with crypt++.el,
> Emacs hangs with minibuffer message:
>
> /home/anonymous/sekrit: 0% (0/1622)
>
> When I try to open with easypg (M-x epa-decrypt-file), Emacs hangs with
> minibuffer message:
>
> Decrypting sekritz.gpg...0% (0/1622)

Probably crypt++.el cannot work in conjunction with EasyPG.  Does the
situation change if you turn off auto-encryption-mode (EasyPG) or stop

> There is no additional information in *Messages*.  I would be grateful
> for any advice on how to diagnose the problem.

Could you try again with (setq epg-debug t) and show me the contents
of " *epg-debug*" buffer (please note that the first character is a
space)?

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: gnupg interface
@ 2008-05-15 10:35   ` Hans Halvorson
From: Hans Halvorson @ 2008-05-15 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiki Ueno; +Cc: emacs-devel

> 2008/5/15 Hans Halvorson <hhalvors@princeton.edu>:
> > I built Emacs 23.0.60.1 from CVS on May 14, and it appears that something
> > breaks gnupg interface packages such as crypt++.el and Easypg.
> >
> > When I try to open a gpg encrypted file (sekritz.gpg) with crypt++.el,
> > Emacs hangs with minibuffer message:
> >
> > /home/anonymous/sekrit: 0% (0/1622)
> >
> > When I try to open with easypg (M-x epa-decrypt-file), Emacs hangs with
> > minibuffer message:
> >
> > Decrypting sekritz.gpg...0% (0/1622)

> Probably crypt++.el cannot work in conjunction with EasyPG.  Does the
> situation change if you turn off auto-encryption-mode (EasyPG) or stop

The situation remains the same without loading crypt++.

> > There is no additional information in *Messages*.  I would be grateful
> > for any advice on how to diagnose the problem.

> Could you try again with (setq epg-debug t) and show me the contents
> of " *epg-debug*" buffer (please note that the first character is a
> space)?

I think now that the problem lies not at all with Emacs development,
but with the upgrade to gnupg version 2, which forces (?) the use of
gpg-agent.  It seems that gpg-agent is waiting for a passphrase (for
decryption of the file).  Here is the content of the log on the first
run:

gpg --no-tty --status-fd 1 --yes --enable-progress-filter --command-fd 0 --output /home/anonym/foobar.txt --decrypt -- /home/anonym/sekritz.gpg
[GNUPG:] PROGRESS /home/anonym/sekri ? 0 1622
gpg: 3DES encrypted data
[GNUPG:] NEED_PASSPHRASE_SYM 2 3 2
can't connect to `/home/anonym/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent': Connection refused
pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8
pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8
pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8
pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8

So I start gpg-agent and try again: I do M-x epa-decrypt-file [RET]
~/sekritz.gpg [RET], and Emacs hangs.  So I check my other windows,
and realize that xterm has popped up a curses password dialog
(pinentry-curses).  But things are garbled: when I try to enter the
password, it doesn't work.

Here are the contents of the log after pressing C-g in Emacs:

gpg --no-tty --status-fd 1 --yes --enable-progress-filter --command-fd 0 --output /home/anonym/foobar.txt --decrypt -- /home/anonym/sekritz.gpg
[GNUPG:] PROGRESS /home/anonym/sekri ? 0 1622
gpg: 3DES encrypted data
[GNUPG:] NEED_PASSPHRASE_SYM 2 3 2

gpg: signal Hangup caught ... exiting

I could not find any documentation for how to set up easypg to work
with gnupg version 2.  Can easypg be used to decrypt gpg files (with
gnupg v 2) when running Emacs in a text terminal?

Thanks,
Hans

* Re: gnupg interface
@ 2008-05-16  4:08     ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2008-05-16  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Halvorson; +Cc: emacs-devel

> > > When I try to open with easypg (M-x epa-decrypt-file), Emacs hangs with
> > > minibuffer message:
> > >
> > > Decrypting sekritz.gpg...0% (0/1622)

> I think now that the problem lies not at all with Emacs development,
> but with the upgrade to gnupg version 2, which forces (?) the use of
> gpg-agent.

True.  GnuPG 2.x does it.

> It seems that gpg-agent is waiting for a passphrase (for decryption of
> the file).  Here is the content of the log on the first run:

> gpg --no-tty --status-fd 1 --yes --enable-progress-filter --command-fd 0 --output /home/anonym/foobar.txt --decrypt -- /home/anonym/sekritz.gpg
> [GNUPG:] PROGRESS /home/anonym/sekri ? 0 1622
> gpg: 3DES encrypted data
> [GNUPG:] NEED_PASSPHRASE_SYM 2 3 2
> can't connect to `/home/anonym/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent': Connection refused
> pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8
> pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8
> pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8
> pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8

> So I start gpg-agent and try again: I do M-x epa-decrypt-file [RET]
> ~/sekritz.gpg [RET], and Emacs hangs.  So I check my other windows,
> and realize that xterm has popped up a curses password dialog
> (pinentry-curses).  But things are garbled: when I try to enter the
> password, it doesn't work.

Currently pinentry-curses is not well integrated into Emacs, and I'm
recently trying to fix it.  See:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/96207

> I could not find any documentation for how to set up easypg to work
> with gnupg version 2.  Can easypg be used to decrypt gpg files (with
> gnupg v 2) when running Emacs in a text terminal?

IIUC, GnuPG 2.x series are not just newer versions of GnuPG but on the
different product line from GnuPG 1.x series, and they can coexist in
the system.  So unless you have any particular reason to choose GnuPG
2.x, I'd recommend:

1. Install the latest GnuPG 1.x along with 2.x and let epg-gpg-program
   to point the executable, or

2. Use other pinentry-program which interact through the windowing system

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: gnupg interface
@ 2008-05-16  9:04       ` Hans Halvorson
From: Hans Halvorson @ 2008-05-16  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiki Ueno; +Cc: emacs-devel

At Fri, 16 May 2008 13:08:10 +0900,
Daiki Ueno wrote:

> > I think now that the problem lies not at all with Emacs development,
> > but with the upgrade to gnupg version 2, which forces (?) the use of
> > gpg-agent.
>
> True.  GnuPG 2.x does it.
>
> > It seems that gpg-agent is waiting for a passphrase (for decryption of
> > the file).  Here is the content of the log on the first run:
>
> > gpg --no-tty --status-fd 1 --yes --enable-progress-filter --command-fd 0 --output /home/anonym/foobar.txt --decrypt -- /home/anonym/sekritz.gpg
> > [GNUPG:] PROGRESS /home/anonym/sekri ? 0 1622
> > gpg: 3DES encrypted data
> > [GNUPG:] NEED_PASSPHRASE_SYM 2 3 2
> > can't connect to `/home/anonym/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent': Connection refused
> > pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8
> > pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8
> > pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8
> > pinentry-curses: no LC_CTYPE known - assuming UTF-8
>
> > So I start gpg-agent and try again: I do M-x epa-decrypt-file [RET]
> > ~/sekritz.gpg [RET], and Emacs hangs.  So I check my other windows,
> > and realize that xterm has popped up a curses password dialog
> > (pinentry-curses).  But things are garbled: when I try to enter the
> > password, it doesn't work.
>
> Currently pinentry-curses is not well integrated into Emacs, and I'm
> recently trying to fix it.  See:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/96207
>
> > I could not find any documentation for how to set up easypg to work
> > with gnupg version 2.  Can easypg be used to decrypt gpg files (with
> > gnupg v 2) when running Emacs in a text terminal?
>
> IIUC, GnuPG 2.x series are not just newer versions of GnuPG but on the
> different product line from GnuPG 1.x series, and they can coexist in
> the system.  So unless you have any particular reason to choose GnuPG
> 2.x, I'd recommend:
>
> 1. Install the latest GnuPG 1.x along with 2.x and let epg-gpg-program
>    to point the executable, or
>
> 2. Use other pinentry-program which interact through the windowing system
>
> Regards,
> --
> Daiki Ueno

Many thanks for your helpful responses.