On 01/15/2015 07:47 PM, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote: > Richard Stallman wrote: >> The situation with Emacs will be the same as it is with GCC now: >> plug-ins have to be GPL. >> > > > This illuminates the central question at hand: if an Emacs plugin is > GPL, and provides access to internals of GCC, which is also GPL, can > nonfree software use that Emacs plugin? > > I think that the answer to this question is "no", and that this provides > a means to export GCC's AST to Emacs without opening the AST to nonfree > software. That doesn't address Richard's concern. I can write some elisp to export the AST to my proprietary compiler.