On 11/18/2014 01:40 PM, Juri Linkov wrote: >>> The fix is simple: allow up-down arrow keys to have their usual behavior >>> and only on hitting the beginning/end of the minibuffer move to the next >>> or previous history item, thus making navigation more smooth and continuous. >> >> Sounds good to me (oddly enough, while I use up/down/left/right >> frequently in normal buffers, it seems that I never use up/down in the >> minibuffer (I use M-p/M-n to go through the history and C-p/C-n for >> in-buffer movement)). > > There is another convenience in other programs that we could use. > Most programs allow typing S-RET to insert a newline in their analogue > of the minibuffer. Even though it might be unavailable on some terminals, > what do you think about adding it for GUI sessions? > S-RET is a good idea; I've seen this keybinding used in lots of other programs for "insert a newline without executing an action".