On 04/21/2014 03:03 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote: >> That test was there in cl-check-type. The test doesn't make sense to me >> either. We should drop it in both places if we drop it in cl-the. > > Great, let's drop it then. Thanks. On second thought, I'm not sure it's so simple. First of all, nobody in the tree actually changes the default speed or safety settings, AFAICT. On closer inspection, maybe that's been a good thing: cl--optimize-speed and cl--optimize-safety are ordinary non-local variables, and cl--do-proclaim just setqs them, indicating that compiling files that change their optimization settings will have global effects. I'm not sure we should change how it works now without having a discussion of how we want this whole system to work. Should we make cl--optimize-speed and cl--optimize-safety buffer-local? And shouldn't we be setting the default values to 3 and 0, respectively, during initial Emacs compilation when we haven't been given configured with --enable-checking? Also, we could make cl-locally do something useful by having it bind cl--optimize-speed and cl--optimize-safety, then fully macroexpand its body.