On 04/21/2014 01:38 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 00:13:29 -0700 >> From: Daniel Colascione >> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org >> >>> Why untabify at all? Using tabs and spaces is the default GNU coding >>> style, so why should we stray from that? >> >> In Lisp code, using tabs makes no sense: code is frequently lined up >> precisely, so you get a mixture of tabs and spaces anyway, making it >> impossible to use a different tab-width. Why would you want to use tabs >> at all? > > Tabs make the file smaller. A minor optimization that doesn't matter in 2014. > But more importantly, as I already said, > this is the Emacs default, always has been. So what? Untabify everything and set dir-locals for Emacs to set indent-tabs-mode to nil. >>> (It's an uphill battle you'll lose anyway, because many people, yours >>> truly included, have indent-tabs-mode set non-nil, >> >> Don't do that then. > > We cannot control what everyone out there does. No, we can only control what code gets into Emacs.