* [feature/native-comp] Automatically remove old *eln files
@ 2021-03-30  8:56 edouard debry
From: edouard debry @ 2021-03-30  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I use emacs native-comp on windows, compiled on mingw64.

When I upgrade emacs packages, I often run into "too many open files" which
breaks the
upgrade process. I can relaunch it as many times as necessary but then, I
observe that
there seem to have some redundant files :
- in .emacs.d/elpa :
treemacs-20210324.2101
treemacs-20210329.2007
- in .emacs.d/eln-cache/xxx :
which-key-23f6ae93-26b66b60.eln
which-key-46d465c9-7566430a.eln
with-editor-6ad39f3c-1f6cab4d.eln
with-editor-e9d03336-734ea3f5.eln

I can cleanup easily the elpa directory thanks to the date, but it is
harder for the eln-cache.

Is there a way to cleanup both directories so that there remain only the
most recent file for each package  ?

Anyway, I guess emacs will choose to load the latest *eln file, right ?

Regards

* Re: [feature/native-comp] Automatically remove old *eln files
@ 2021-05-02 11:45 ` Phil Sainty
From: Phil Sainty @ 2021-05-02 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edouard debry, emacs-devel

On 30/03/21 9:56 pm, edouard debry wrote:
> - in .emacs.d/eln-cache/xxx :
> which-key-23f6ae93-26b66b60.eln
> which-key-46d465c9-7566430a.eln
> with-editor-6ad39f3c-1f6cab4d.eln
> with-editor-e9d03336-734ea3f5.eln
>
> Is there a way to cleanup both directories so that there remain
> only the most recent file for each package?

See also:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2021-04/msg01802.html

> Anyway, I guess emacs will choose to load the latest *eln file, right ?

More specifically, the hashes in the filenames allow Emacs to look
for only the *correct* eln file (whether or not it's the latest).