* Bug tracker automated control server message
       [not found] ` <handler.s.C.137793698428616.transcript@debbugs.gnu.org>
@ 2013-08-31  8:38   ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2013-08-31  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The "GNU bug tracker automated control server" just told me that

> Processing commands for control@debbugs.gnu.org:
>
>>  >> w32_backtrace at w32fns.c:7982
> Unknown command or malformed arguments to command.
>
>>  >> emacs_abort at w32fns.c:8014
> Unknown command or malformed arguments to command.
>
>>  >> terminate_due_to_signal at emacs.c:369
> Unknown command or malformed arguments to command.
>
>>  >> die at alloc.c:6573
> Unknown command or malformed arguments to command.
>
>>  >> XWINDOW at lisp.h:799
> Unknown command or malformed arguments to command.
>
> Too many unknown commands, stopping here.
>
> No commands successfully parsed; sending the help text(s).
> Sending instructions for control@debbugs.gnu.org in separate message.
>
> Please contact help-debbugs@gnu.org if you need assistance.
>
> GNU bugs database, http://debbugs.gnu.org/

I'd like to avoid this.  Any suggestions?

Thanks, martin

* Re: Bug tracker automated control server message
@ 2013-08-31 11:39     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-08-31 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 10:38:55 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
>
> The "GNU bug tracker automated control server" just told me that
>
> > Processing commands for control@debbugs.gnu.org:
> >
> >>  >> w32_backtrace at w32fns.c:7982
> > Unknown command or malformed arguments to command.
> >
> >>  >> emacs_abort at w32fns.c:8014
> > Unknown command or malformed arguments to command.
> >
> >>  >> terminate_due_to_signal at emacs.c:369
> > Unknown command or malformed arguments to command.
> >
> >>  >> die at alloc.c:6573
> > Unknown command or malformed arguments to command.
> >
> >>  >> XWINDOW at lisp.h:799
> > Unknown command or malformed arguments to command.
> >
> > Too many unknown commands, stopping here.
> >
> > No commands successfully parsed; sending the help text(s).
> > Sending instructions for control@debbugs.gnu.org in separate message.
> >
> > Please contact help-debbugs@gnu.org if you need assistance.
> >
> > GNU bugs database, http://debbugs.gnu.org/
>
> I'd like to avoid this.  Any suggestions?

Put "stop" or "thanks" line before the stuff that isn't meant for the
tracker.

* Re: Bug tracker automated control server message
@ 2013-08-31 12:56       ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2013-08-31 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Put "stop" or "thanks" line before the stuff that isn't meant for the
> tracker.

But this behavior of the tracker is new?

@ 2013-08-31 13:04         ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2013-08-31 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

martin rudalics writes:
>> Put "stop" or "thanks" line before the stuff that isn't meant for the
>> tracker.
>
> But this behavior of the tracker is new?

No, this happened because you also send the mail to the control server
at control@debbugs. My guess is that you did a wide reply on a message
were control@debbugs was in the CC without you noticing.

This is why the control@debbugs address should usually go in the BCC, so
that people who do a wide reply do not mail the control server by
accident.

-David

* Re: Bug tracker automated control server message
@ 2013-08-31 13:07           ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2013-08-31 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

 >> But this behavior of the tracker is new?
 >
 > No, this happened because you also send the mail to the control server
 > at control@debbugs. My guess is that you did a wide reply on a message
 > were control@debbugs was in the CC without you noticing.
 >
 > This is why the control@debbugs address should usually go in the BCC, so
 > that people who do a wide reply do not mail the control server by
 > accident.

Thanks.  Eli merged the bugs and that's apparently how control@debbugs
came in.  I didn't know about the consequences.

@ 2013-08-31 13:45           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-08-31 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Engster; +Cc: rudalics, emacs-devel

> From: David Engster <deng@randomsample.de>
> Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 15:04:43 +0200
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> This is why the control@debbugs address should usually go in the BCC, so
> that people who do a wide reply do not mail the control server by
> accident.

If control@debbugs goes in BCC, people will become confused about
those weird commands at the beginning of the message.

* Re: Bug tracker automated control server message
@ 2013-08-31 16:06             ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2013-08-31 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: rudalics, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> From: David Engster <deng@randomsample.de>
>> Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 15:04:43 +0200
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> This is why the control@debbugs address should usually go in the BCC, so
>> that people who do a wide reply do not mail the control server by
>> accident.
>
> If control@debbugs goes in BCC, people will become confused about
> those weird commands at the beginning of the message.

I think those commands are pretty clear; before I learned about
control@debbugs, I used to think that the bugtracker simply always
processes them. IMO the messages you get from an accidental mail to the
control server are much weirder; also, as a guideline, using BCC is
recommended in admin/notes/bugtracker.

-David