* global-auto-revert-mode and file time stamps
@ 2013-05-21 13:40 Timur Aydin
From: Timur Aydin @ 2013-05-21 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi, I have sent this message to help-gnu-emacs, but I thought maybe
development list is better, because I am using a development version.
Here it goes:

When a file's timestamp has been changed, but the contents are still the
same, what should be the behavior of emacs be? With the emacs that I am
using (development version):

GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.3)
  of 2013-05-01 on bonsai

It thinks the file is changed. Here is what I do:

- Open a file, edit it and then save.

- use the "touch" command to update the time stamp of this file.

- Wait way more than the auto revert interval (which is set to 5 seconds
in my case).

- Try to make a change to the buffer corresponding to this file.

At this point, emacs says that the file has changed and asks whether I
really want to edit it. I was expecting emacs to auto revert this buffer
and allow me to edit it without further questions. So my question is, am
I looking at a bug, or a feature?

--
Timur Aydin

* Re: global-auto-revert-mode and file time stamps
@ 2013-05-21 18:17 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2013-05-21 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timur Aydin; +Cc: emacs-devel

Timur Aydin <ta@taydin.org> writes:

> Hi,

Hi,

> At this point, emacs says that the file has changed and asks whether I
> really want to edit it. I was expecting emacs to auto revert this buffer
> and allow me to edit it without further questions. So my question is, am
> I looking at a bug, or a feature?

I could reproduce the problem. I will check tomorrow what's up. Likely,
it is because the new file change notification mechanism introduced with
Emacs 24.3.50.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: global-auto-revert-mode and file time stamps
@ 2013-05-22 14:50   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2013-05-22 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timur Aydin; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I could reproduce the problem. I will check tomorrow what's up. Likely,
> it is because the new file change notification mechanism introduced with
> Emacs 24.3.50.

I've fixed this in the trunk.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: global-auto-revert-mode and file time stamps
@ 2013-05-22 18:50     ` Timur Aydin
From: Timur Aydin @ 2013-05-22 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 5/22/2013 5:50 PM, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> writes:
>
> I've fixed this in the trunk.

I can confirm that this problem is fixed. Thank you Michael.

--
Timur