* Backport fix for bug #8855?
@ 2012-11-21 22:33 Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-11-21 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: Emacs

Is there any chance of backporting the fix for bug #8855 to the emacs-24
branch?  The bug is pretty annoying, and there haven't been any problems
reported with the fix, as far as I know.

Ken

* Re: Backport fix for bug #8855?
@ 2012-11-21 23:54 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2012-11-21 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown; +Cc: Emacs Development

On 11/21/2012 02:33 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> Is there any chance of backporting the fix for bug #8855 to the emacs-24 branch?

The backport is easy; I created a patch and you can see it in
<http://bugs.gnu.org/8855#53>.

This bug has been there for a while, so as I understand it the
fix normally would wait until the next version since we're in a
freeze.  But if the bug has become more annoying recently perhaps
there's enough justification for putting the fix into emacs-24.

* Re: Backport fix for bug #8855?
@ 2012-11-22 14:40   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-11-22 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Stefan Monnier, Emacs Development

On 11/21/2012 6:54 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 11/21/2012 02:33 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
>> Is there any chance of backporting the fix for bug #8855 to the emacs-24 branch?
>
> The backport is easy; I created a patch and you can see it in
> <http://bugs.gnu.org/8855#53>.
>
> This bug has been there for a while, so as I understand it the
> fix normally would wait until the next version since we're in a
> freeze.  But if the bug has become more annoying recently perhaps
> there's enough justification for putting the fix into emacs-24.

This is obviously up to Stefan and Chong.  I can't honestly say the bug
has become more annoying recently.  It's been annoying for a long time,
and I was very glad that you fixed it.

In my experience, the bug only shows up if I start emacs without a D-Bus
daemon running.  I suspect most GNU/Linux users always have a daemon
running when they start emacs under X, so they aren't aware of the bug.
  The reason for my request that you backport the fix is that I've been
thinking ahead to the release of emacs-24.3 for the Cygwin distribution.
  Cygwin users are probably not accustomed to starting a D-Bus daemon,
so I will need to do something.

If Stefan and Chong decide that the fix should not be backported, I'll
probably just apply the fix locally to my Cygwin build.

Ken