On 11/16/2012 4:58 PM, James Cloos wrote: >>>>>> "DC" == Daniel Colascione writes: > > DC> In fact, I really don't see why file:// URLs should go through > DC> url-handlers.el at all. A file URL should be a simple pass-through > DC> to the normal file handler machinery, yes? > > Only file:/// or file://localhost/ should point to the local > filesystem. file://example.org/foo.bar is a valid uri to some > resource on example.org using some (unspecified) access method. It's elegant in theory to make URIs network-transparent, but in practice, "file:" always refers to a local file. Nobody constructs a file URI intending to refer to a remote resource not accessible through ordinary filesystem mounts, and plenty of people accidentally construct file URIs with enough leading slashes to convince Emacs that a resource is remote. Until I fixed it, our drag-and-drop code did just that. If anyone actually uses remote file URIs, please tell me. Otherwise, I intend to make "file:" and "file://" strictly equivalent and always local.