On 10/10/12 8:31 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 22:36:21 -0700 >> From: Daniel Colascione >> >> I wrote a bit of code to handle Windows paths in being given to >> read-file-name in a Cygwin Emacs --- it's just a simple >> file-name-handler-alist entry that overrides substitute-in-file-name >> for Windows paths to yield the corresponding Cygwin path. > > I'm not sure I understand the use case. Are you talking about a user > who wants to feed a Cygwin Emacs with a native Windows style file > name? Why would she want to do that? Copy and paste from the clipboard comes to mind. Cygwin itself deals adequately with being given Windows paths --- it's Emacs that could handle them more elegantly. > I could understand a different use case: when a native Windows program > invoked by a Cygwin Emacs returns Windows style file names. But for > that, read-file-name is not the place to add support for this. That's why I made it a substitute-in-file-name hander. Where would you put the code?