* Feature request - dynamic icon pixmap
@ 2005-02-15  6:12 Sun Yijiang
From: Sun Yijiang @ 2005-02-15  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

GNU Emacs' bitmapicon is a little ugly and not configurable -- that's
the truth.  XEmacs' elisp function x-set-screen-icon-pixmap can change
program icon dynamically, this is very useful when you're working with
sevral frames with different major modes -- they can have their own
icons in the "taskbar".  I wonder if this feature is in the TODO list
of GNU Emacs, If not, I suggest to have it added.

Sun Yijiang

* Re: Feature request - dynamic icon pixmap
@ 2005-02-15 16:14 ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2005-02-15 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Sun Yijiang wrote:

>GNU Emacs' bitmapicon is a little ugly and not configurable -- that's
>the truth.  XEmacs' elisp function x-set-screen-icon-pixmap can change
>program icon dynamically, this is very useful when you're working with
>sevral frames with different major modes -- they can have their own
>icons in the "taskbar".  I wonder if this feature is in the TODO list
>of GNU Emacs, If not, I suggest to have it added.

You can set the frame parameter icon-type to a icon file.  For the GTK
version the format of the file can be any format supported by GdkPixbuf,
but for other ports of Emacs it must be a bitmap.

    Jan D.

* Re: Feature request - dynamic icon pixmap
@ 2005-02-16  1:37   ` Sun Yijiang
From: Sun Yijiang @ 2005-02-16  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Yes, I can change the default icon when I create a new frame:
(make-frame '((name . "testf") (icon-type . "/path/test.png")))

But I cannot change a frame's icon by modifying its icon-type parameter:
(set-frame-parameter my-frame 'icon-type "/path/test2.png")
Nothing happens after this under GNOME or KDE

That's what I mean by "dynamic".

@ 2005-02-16  2:00     ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2005-02-16  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jan D., emacs-devel

Sun Yijiang <sunyijiang@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, I can change the default icon when I create a new frame:
> (make-frame '((name . "testf") (icon-type . "/path/test.png")))
>
> But I cannot change a frame's icon by modifying its icon-type parameter:
> (set-frame-parameter my-frame 'icon-type "/path/test2.png")
> Nothing happens after this under GNOME or KDE
>
> That's what I mean by "dynamic".

Doing:

(set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'icon-type "~/foo.png")

Works for me in the openbox window manager as well as in widgets from
the gnome libwnck[1] library.

[1] Part of metacity, the gnome window manager.

* Re: Feature request - dynamic icon pixmap
@ 2005-02-16 13:22     ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2005-02-16 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Sun Yijiang wrote:

>Yes, I can change the default icon when I create a new frame:
>(make-frame '((name . "testf") (icon-type . "/path/test.png")))
>
>But I cannot change a frame's icon by modifying its icon-type parameter:
>(set-frame-parameter my-frame 'icon-type "/path/test2.png")
>Nothing happens after this under GNOME or KDE
>
>That's what I mean by "dynamic"

Are you sure you've given the correct image file name?  This works for
me with all window managers I've tried, including KDE 3.3 and Gnome 2.6
and 2.8.

    Jan D.