* using gnus on windows
@ 2012-09-03  8:13 Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2012-09-03  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,
I am trying to setup Gnus on a windows machine, it seem gnutls is not
working correctly:

1) If I use this version of gnutls:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/
I can send mail but I can't receive mails with imap.
(gnus hang forever)

2) If I use the cygwin version of gnutls, I can receive my mail with
imap but I can't send my mails anymore.

smtp-mail-send-it: Sending failed: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS
command first. r9sm26224807wia.2

So what am I missing and what is the corrects settings for this?

Thanks.

PS: I am using windows binary of 2012-08-27 (Emacs 24.2.50)

--
  Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:

* Re: using gnus on windows
@ 2012-09-04 15:32 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-09-04 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> 2) If I use the cygwin version of gnutls, I can receive my mail with
> imap but I can't send my mails anymore.
>
> smtp-mail-send-it: Sending failed: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS
> command first. r9sm26224807wia.2

I don't think using gnutls-cli under Windows is supported at all?  The
recommended thing is to use an Emacs with libgnutls support compiled in,
and with the libgnutls libraries installed.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Emacs

* Re: using gnus on windows
@ 2012-09-04 16:53   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2012-09-04 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> 2) If I use the cygwin version of gnutls, I can receive my mail with
>> imap but I can't send my mails anymore.
>>
>> smtp-mail-send-it: Sending failed: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS
>> command first. r9sm26224807wia.2
>
> I don't think using gnutls-cli under Windows is supported at all?  The
> recommended thing is to use an Emacs with libgnutls support compiled in,
> and with the libgnutls libraries installed.
This is not documented, we even don't know if the windows binaries are
compiled with this feature, so it is hard to use Gnus on windows without
spending hours of googling and reading code to figure out what to do.
Fortunately I could get rid of windows on my new laptop and I have not
to deal anymore with this.
Thanks.

--
  Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:

* Re: using gnus on windows
@ 2012-09-04 17:24     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-09-04 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: larsi, emacs-devel

> From: Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 18:53:46 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > I don't think using gnutls-cli under Windows is supported at all?  The
> > recommended thing is to use an Emacs with libgnutls support compiled in,
> > and with the libgnutls libraries installed.
> This is not documented

Yes, it is, see README.W32.

> we even don't know if the windows binaries are compiled with this
> feature

??? Christoph always says that explicitly in his announcements.  For
example:

> The Emacs Trunk Windows Binaries (bzr revno 109861) have been published in
>
> http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/
>
> The binaries were built using the following libraries:
> giflib-4.1.4-1
> gnutls-3.0.9     <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
> jpeg-6b-4
> libXpm-3.5.8
> libpng-1.4.3-1
> tiff-3.8.2-1
> zlib-1.2.5-2
> libxml2-2.7.8
> libiconv-1.13.1-1

Also, you should be able to see some hints in the value of
system-configuration-options.

> so it is hard to use Gnus on windows without spending hours of
> googling and reading code to figure out what to do.

README.W32 should spell all this out, please tell where it should be
improved if it doesn't.

However, if you need full control of what's in your build, you need to
build Emacs yourself.  On any platform.

* Re: using gnus on windows
@ 2012-09-04 23:43     ` Christoph Scholtes
From: Christoph Scholtes @ 2012-09-04 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel

On 9/4/2012 10:53 AM, Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
> This is not documented, we even don't know if the windows binaries are
> compiled with this feature, so it is hard to use Gnus on windows without
> spending hours of googling and reading code to figure out what to do.

 From the release announcement for the (more or less) weekly binaries:

The binaries were built using the following libraries:
giflib-4.1.4-1
gnutls-3.0.9   <----------------
jpeg-6b-4
libXpm-3.5.8
libpng-1.4.3-1
tiff-3.8.2-1
zlib-1.2.5-2
libxml2-2.7.8
libiconv-1.13.1-1

FWIW, I use gnus on Windows with the compiled in version of gnutls
(Eli's version) and Gmail/IMAP without problems.

Do you still have problems?

Christoph

* Re: using gnus on windows
@ 2012-09-05  4:41       ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2012-09-05  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Scholtes; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel

Christoph Scholtes <cschol2112@googlemail.com> writes:

> On 9/4/2012 10:53 AM, Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
>> This is not documented, we even don't know if the windows binaries are
>> compiled with this feature, so it is hard to use Gnus on windows without
>> spending hours of googling and reading code to figure out what to do.
>
> From the release announcement for the (more or less) weekly binaries:
>
> The binaries were built using the following libraries:
> giflib-4.1.4-1
> gnutls-3.0.9   <----------------
> jpeg-6b-4
> libXpm-3.5.8
> libpng-1.4.3-1
> tiff-3.8.2-1
> zlib-1.2.5-2
> libxml2-2.7.8
> libiconv-1.13.1-1
>
> FWIW, I use gnus on Windows with the compiled in version of gnutls
> (Eli's version) and Gmail/IMAP without problems.
>
> Do you still have problems?
After two days playing with windows7 on my new
laptop, I give up, and install a GNU/linux box as I always did.

I never been able to use Gnus on windows7 (Among other things that do
not work properly).

--
  Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:

* Re: using gnus on windows
@ 2012-09-05 14:35         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-09-05 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: Christoph Scholtes, Lars Ingebrigtsen, emacs-devel

> After two days playing with windows7 on my new
> laptop, I give up, and install a GNU/linux box as I always did.

Yay!