From: David Robinow <drobinow@gmail.com>
To: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
Cc: Emacs <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: C-h, F1, Backspace, and splash screen
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 18:44:54 -0400	[thread overview]

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
> On 5/28/2009 2:22 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>>
>>> packages up to date.  One annoyance that I've encountered, which may not
>>> be
>>> cygwin specific, is that C-h is not available as the help key when emacs
>>> is
>>> run in a text terminal.  I've looked at the documentation for
>>
>> Nowadays under X11, this is considered as a bug in the
>> terminal's configuration (i.e. most/all terminals don't use C-h for the
>> backspace key any more).  Can't you fix the text terminal?
>
> I think I wasn't specific enough in asking my question, though your answer
> might be the same.  The problem doesn't occur under X11.  It occurs in
> various terminals running outside of X (rxvt, mintty,...). It's true that
> the terminals can be configured so that backspace doesn't send C-h, but I'm
> trying to set things up to work nicely with the default cygwin
> configuration, in which backspace sends C-h.  I don't have any control over
> these defaults.
>
> Ken
  Actually C-h sends backspace, not the other way around. (For some
definition of "backspace")
For rxvt, the user can edit "/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt" to comment
out the line:
  Rxvt.backspacekey:     ^H
and   "emacs -nw" appears to work properly.

But really, what is your use case? I don't really see any point in
running cygwin emacs unless it's under X.
 If you have cygwin, you have Windows.
 If you have Windows, use the native Emacs.