From: Alexander Shukaev <emacs@alexander.shukaev.name>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Cc: Emacs-devel <emacs-devel-bounces+emacs=alexander.shukaev.name@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Emacs Hangs on Filesystem Operations on Stale NFS
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 13:55:51 +0200	[thread overview]

On 2018-06-11 12:27, Alexander Shukaev wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>

> I initiated a discussion back in 2015 [1] about fragility of Emacs in
> terms of filesystem operations on stale NFS.  No solution actually
> came out of this discussion.  I still find this issue very disruptive.
>  Yet another example would be `recentf-cleanup' which is in my case
> triggered on Emacs start up, when the file comes from stale NFS, the
> corresponding `file-readable-p' down the stack will hang indefinitely,
> and there would be no way to unfreeze it apart from issuing 'kill -9'
> to that Emacs instance.  Don't you people find it unacceptable for the
> daily usage?  Well, I do.  Such hangs always disrupt daily work and
> require quite some time to track them down as they are not
> Lisp-debuggable with e.g. <C-g> in a straightforward way (these are
> dead hangs from C code, where even attaching a GDB does not work).
>
> Well, enough rant.  I think I have a proposal how to fix the issue,
> even given the blocking nature of Emacs.  How about introducing a
> variable `file-access-timeout' defaulting to `nil', which would
> reflect a configurable timeout for all access operations (such as
> `file-readable-p')?  This would be achieved via `SIGALARM' in the C
> code, which would protect every such operation.  For example,
>
> #include <sigaction.h>
> #include <sys/stat.h>
> #include <unistd.h>
> #include <string.h>
>
> static void alarm_handler(int sig)
> {
>     return;
> }
>
> int emacs_stat(const char* path, struct stat* s, unsigned int seconds)
> {
>     struct sigaction newact;
>     struct sigaction oldact;
>
>     memset(&newact, 0, sizeof(newact));
>     memset(&oldact, 0, sizeof(oldact));
>
>     sigemptyset(&newact.sa_mask);
>
>     newact.sa_flags   = 0;
>     newact.sa_handler = alarm_handler;
>     sigaction(SIGALRM, &newact, &oldact);
>
>     alarm(seconds);
>
>     errno                 = 0;
>     const int rc          = stat(path, s);
>     const int saved_errno = errno;
>
>     alarm(0);
>     sigaction(SIGALRM, &oldact, NULL);
>
>     errno = saved_errno;
>     return rc;
> }
>
> where `seconds' should be initialized with the value of
> `file-access-timeout'.  The cool advantage of this that I see is that
> one can then also selectively `let'-bind different values for
> `file-access-timeout', thus having total control over the use cases in
> which one wants to protect oneself from indefinite hangs.
>
> Kind regards,
> Alexander
>
> [1]
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-11/msg00251.html

A couple of more ideas:
- I think it is reasonable to actually signal a dedicated error in case
of the timeout so that API consumers can handle it accordingly to their
needs.
- It might be worth to also factor this alarm mechanism out into a
separate macro, e.g. similar to `condition-case', where one could wrap a
piece of Lisp code into that macro by supplying a timeout and expect it
to call a timeout handler code in case of timeout:

(with-system-timeout 3
     (do-something)
   (message "%s" "Timed out after 3 seconds..."))

This would also give Lisp developers full control over system related
interactions.

Regards,
Alexander