On 06/29/2012 12:07 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > if someone ever bumps into a problem > because of such an overflow, I'll be*super* happy, because it means > that all the performance problems we get with long lines have > been fixed. No, if the overflow happens to generate a small integer, Emacs will run quickly and incorrectly without the patch in question. Perhaps there's a better fix, and certainly that area of the code needs changing if hscroll is changed to 'int' as suggested; but some fix is needed.