[some stuff from old discussion below] On 12/12/2011 10:27 PM, Paul Eggert wrote: > On 12/12/11 06:07, Dmitry Antipov wrote: >> I suppose that any non-ancient glibc malloc >> doesn't require such a glitch in lisp_align_malloc any more > > This sounds correct to me as well, though I can't cite > chapter and verse offhand. Certainly the posix_memalign > implementation has mutated significantly since glibc 2.3.2 > came out in 2003, and any performance measurements > based on 2.3.2 are suspect now. > > More generally, if some cruft was put into alloc.c long ago > for performance reasons, and if we can no longer demonstrate > that the cruft improves performance significantly > on currently-used platforms, then surely it's OK to remove it > after the feature freeze is over. Cruft like that has a real > maintenance cost, and there's no point keeping it > if it doesn't actually have a performance benefit. I believe this becomes more and more actual because more and more of ancient systems with poor malloc implementations falls into their graves; this cleanup assumes that every malloc implementation has reasonably efficient posix_memalign or memalign at least. Dmitry