* Updating deps/*.d files
@ 2011-09-22 21:45 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2011-09-22 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Is there a make target to update them?
I can't see one, and it was just a pain in the neck.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Re: Updating deps/*.d files
@ 2011-09-22 23:10 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2011-09-22 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 09/22/11 14:45, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Is there a make target to update them?
> I can't see one, and it was just a pain in the neck.

There's no make target for them.  We could add one by
appending something like the following to src/autodeps.mk:

dependencies: $(ALLOBJS)

and then one could type "make dependencies".

I'm not sure this would be a good idea, though.
Why was it a pain in the neck?  What happened?
Perhaps we could fix the underlying problem directly,
with no need for a manual "make dependencies" action.

* Re: Updating deps/*.d files
@ 2011-09-23  5:35 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2011-09-23  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello.

Richard Stallman skrev 2011-09-22 23:45:
> Is there a make target to update them?
> I can't see one, and it was just a pain in the neck.

As they are generated at the same time the .c-file is compiled, no.
You can remove deps and recompile Emacs.
There is a configure option to disable them: --disable-autodepend.

	Jan D.

* Re: Updating deps/*.d files
@ 2011-09-23 12:31   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2011-09-23 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel

    dependencies: $(ALLOBJS)

    and then one could type "make dependencies".

ALLOBJS seems to be a list of .o file names.  How would that do the job?
Is it that compilation also generates the deps/*.d files as a side output?

The problem was, make was failing because deps/bidi.d contained two
old .h files that don't exist any more.  I could not see any way to
update bidi.d automatically, so I edited it by hand to make things
proceed.  That doesn't seem clean.

--

@ 2011-09-23 14:39     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-09-23 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: eggert, emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 08:31:04 -0400
> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Is it that compilation also generates the deps/*.d files as a side output?

Yes.

> The problem was, make was failing because deps/bidi.d contained two
> old .h files that don't exist any more.  I could not see any way to
> update bidi.d automatically, so I edited it by hand to make things
> proceed.

You could also delete bidi.d.

* Re: Updating deps/*.d files
@ 2011-09-23 17:18     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-09-23 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Paul Eggert, emacs-devel

> Is it that compilation also generates the deps/*.d files as a side output?

Yes.

> The problem was, make was failing because deps/bidi.d contained two
> old .h files that don't exist any more.  I could not see any way to
> update bidi.d automatically, so I edited it by hand to make things
> proceed.  That doesn't seem clean.

The problem you bumped into has been fixed (the deps generated more
recently will "do the right thing" if one of the dependencies is
missing).
In general, "rm -rf src/deps" is simpler than editing by hand and works
about as well.

* Re: Updating deps/*.d files
@ 2011-09-23 19:44     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2011-09-23 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel

	dependencies: $(ALLOBJS)

	and then one could type "make dependencies".

My problem was that `make bidi.o' was failing.  It said that
there was no way to make a couple of .h files that were dependencies
of bidi.o, but no longer existed.

I think that `make dependencies' would have failed too.
So that is not a solution.

--

@ 2011-09-23 20:00       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-09-23 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: eggert, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> My problem was that `make bidi.o' was failing.

As previously discussed