* fixed_gtk_widget_size_allocate is called a lot
@ 2011-07-26 14:58 joakim
From: joakim @ 2011-07-26 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm debugging some flicker when displaying a gtk socket in the xwidget
branch. Other widgets types don't flicker.

during debugging I find my local override
emacs_fixed_gtk_widget_size_allocate gets called a lot, like during
every redisplay or something. The flickering have the same sort of
frequency. Should gtk widgets allocation happen that often?

Sockets around a bit different from other types of widgets since they
always are native windows, which ordinary widgets aren't by default in GTK3.
--
Joakim Verona

* Re: fixed_gtk_widget_size_allocate is called a lot
@ 2011-07-26 15:11 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2011-07-26 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi.

joakim@verona.se skrev 2011-07-26 16:58:
> I'm debugging some flicker when displaying a gtk socket in the xwidget
> branch. Other widgets types don't flicker.
>
> during debugging I find my local override
> emacs_fixed_gtk_widget_size_allocate gets called a lot, like during
> every redisplay or something. The flickering have the same sort of
> frequency. Should gtk widgets allocation happen that often?

I guess so.  You can break in it to see the call stack.  Maybe there is some
Emacs operation that trigger it that we can optimize.
But if the allocation is the same as previous, your widget should not do anything.

	Jan D.