On 7/21/2011 5:55 AM, Deniz Dogan wrote: > Of course, the command line was simply too long (approximately 66,000 > characters) for my operating system to handle (Windows 7 64-bit). > > What should Emacs do when this happens? > > I think the most appropriate thing would be to add some functionality > which determines the maximum command line length for the current system > and if the call exceeds that length, tell the user about it. Another > way would be to e.g. divide the commit into several smaller commits and > appending something along the lines of "(commit N of M)" to each commit > message. > > What do you think? I think this is quite an important issue. There is a third option, at least if you use Cygwin: http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-at