On 6/6/11 1:46 PM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote: > Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes: >>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/byte-code-cache.el >> >> That seems nice, but Stefan's simpler solution would do the trick for >> me, and is something that I think Emacs should do by default. > > Maybe we could arrange things so that byte-code-cache gets included? The problem is that byte-code-cache doesn't _quite_ work. Sure, it handles simple cases well enough, but: 1) it deals with dependency cycles by just not compiling certain files; 2) it breaks inexplicably (i.e., I haven't analyzed it) with nxhtml; and 3) [this may be a spurious effect] code compiled using byte-code-cache somehow seems slower than code compiled the conventional way. When I looked at cc-mode, I noticed a slight performance hit. I'd have to look at it again in more detail to see whether I actually found a problem. Regardless, the mode is an ugly hack. It shadows LOAD and calls the byte compiler in a way it was never meant to be called. If we're going to implement a feature like this, we ought to do it right, and that means making the compiler reentrant and adding the proper hooks to LOAD.