* Keys in edit-abbrevs-mode
@ 2011-03-27  5:23 Leo
From: Leo @ 2011-03-27  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

I wonder if we can change the key bindings in edit-abbrevs-mode to be
more in line with global bindings.

C-x C-s  --  redefine and save to the default abbrev file
C-x C-w  --  redefine and asked the user which file to save

It is a bit odd after C-x C-s in that edit-abbrevs buffer, users are
still asked whether to save their abbrevs when exiting Emacs.

Any comments?

Leo

* Re: Keys in edit-abbrevs-mode
@ 2011-03-27 16:33 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-03-27 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Leo

Am 27.03.2011 07:23, schrieb Leo:
> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if we can change the key bindings in edit-abbrevs-mode to be
> more in line with global bindings.
>
> C-x C-s  --  redefine and save to the default abbrev file
> C-x C-w  --  redefine and asked the user which file to save
>
> It is a bit odd after C-x C-s in that edit-abbrevs buffer, users are
> still asked whether to save their abbrevs when exiting Emacs.

+1

Maybe introduce a customizable boolean ask-abbrev-buffer-safe, if not
existing.

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/python-mode-components
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

> Any comments?
>
> Leo

* Re: Keys in edit-abbrevs-mode
@ 2011-03-28  4:59   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2011-03-28  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2011-03-28 00:33 +0800, Andreas Röhler wrote:
> +1

How about something like this:
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5937#52

> Maybe introduce a customizable boolean ask-abbrev-buffer-safe, if not
> existing.
>
> Andreas

Do you think we still need ask-abbrev-buffer-safe? (I don't have a
precise picture about what that var supposed to do).

Leo

* Re: Keys in edit-abbrevs-mode
@ 2011-03-28 10:09     ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-03-28 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-devel

Am 28.03.2011 06:59, schrieb Leo:
> On 2011-03-28 00:33 +0800, Andreas Röhler wrote:
>> +1
>
> How about something like this:
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5937#52
>

>> Maybe introduce a customizable boolean ask-abbrev-buffer-safe, if not
>> existing.
>>
>> Andreas
>
> Do you think we still need ask-abbrev-buffer-safe? (I don't have a
> precise picture about what that var supposed to do).
>
> Leo

That var should re-enable the old behavior if needed.
Just a precausion. Not sure about it.

Please permit some general remark.

First of all I'm happy seeing you tackling the abbrevs issue. Think
thats a field indead, where Emacs may play it's strength still much more
than now. Seeing some readiness for a still bigger success.

Have several ideas in the pipe, which I may present you - first one as
bug-report sent this morning.

Nonetheless keep an eye at the risks of changes.

As Emacs makes changes easy, thats a strength and a weakness alike.
Would assume some time is spent redoing earlier improvements.

Thats normal, however let's minimise these losses.

Thats all

Cheers

Andreas