From: Christoph <cschol2112@googlemail.com>
To: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca
Cc: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>,
	emacs-devel@gnu.org, galli.87@gmail.com
Subject: Re: A new major-mode for Python
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 20:58:49 -0700	[thread overview]

 > I'm not so much concerned about backward compatibility, really.  I just
 > would rather have a smoother transition.

I think the move can be done step by step and shouldn't take too long
overall.

 > I'm not too concerned about features.  I just want the transition to be
 > done in meaningful chunks.  E.g. one commit can rip out the old
 > indentation and install your new one.  Another one could be "drop
 > bycicle because noone wants to repair the repairman".

[...]

 > I think we can work something out.  And if Christoph is OK with helping
 > along, this could go very smoothly.

I am OK with that.

Here is what I would propose for the next steps:

If Fabian is OK with the general approach described by you and Chong and
OK with signing the FSF papers, he should go ahead and do that. In the
meantime, we could polish Fabians implementation as hosted on github and
start thinking about the integration in steps.

By polish, I mean a) resolve issues the current implementation has (I
have been using it for a couple of days and found a couple, especially
on Windows) and b) implement the features that are in the Emacs'
python.el but not in Fabians implementation and that we don't want to loose.

I am available in whatever capacity Fabian is comfortable, i.e. as a
tester/bug reporter or I can provide patches for improvements.

As for the integration with the current python.el, I think that some
cleanup is needed first. For example the pdbtrack implementation that
was done a couple of years ago pulled in all this unecessary code that
was never cleaned up. I would clean up this part right away. Then maybe
remove bicycle repair main support and other stuff that we decide is not
really required. I think, this will make integrating Fabians changes
easier.

Fabian, what do you think?

Christoph