* New menu creation
@ 2010-05-26 18:39 supreet prasad
From: supreet prasad @ 2010-05-26 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-devel

Hello Emacs Developers,

I am very new to Emacs development. I am now trying to develop my own menu
and I had a few questions about it.

Do I start of writing my code in a new .el file under "lisp" directory? Do I
have to compile emacs and install it everytime I make some changes and want
to test it?
I need to create a new menu item and perform a couple of simple tasks.
Please let me know how I can proceed .
Any links or suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
Supreet

* Re: New menu creation
@ 2010-05-27  1:24 ` David Lee
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTikfS8Fk-Fj5eZu-4-OJVbkyJrS0jORSjVg_oTqi@mail.gmail.com>
From: David Lee @ 2010-05-27  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supreet prasad; +Cc: Emacs-devel

On 05/27/2010 02:39 AM, supreet prasad wrote:
> Hello Emacs Developers,
>
> I am very new to Emacs development. I am now trying to develop my own
> menu and I had a few questions about it.
>
> Do I start of writing my code in a new .el file under "lisp" directory?
Add code to .emacs file.
> Do I have to compile emacs and install it everytime I make some changes
> and want to test it?
No, emacs can source both *.el or *.elc(compiled). Prefer later.
> I need to create a new menu item and perform a couple of simple tasks.
> Please let me know how I can proceed .
Use "easy-menu-define".
> Any links or suggestions would be extremely helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Supreet

David

* Re:New menu creation
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTikfS8Fk-Fj5eZu-4-OJVbkyJrS0jORSjVg_oTqi@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-05-27 18:01     ` supreet prasad
From: supreet prasad @ 2010-05-27 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-devel

Hello David,

Thanks for taking your time and helping me out here. I really appreciate it.
I was able to create menus.

I now need to know the name of the file in use and find out if a particular
file exists in some location and do some stuff accordingly.
How do I proceed?

Thanks,
Supreet

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM, David Lee <zhushenli2@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/27/2010 02:39 AM, supreet prasad wrote:
>
>> Hello Emacs Developers,
>>
>> I am very new to Emacs development. I am now trying to develop my own
>> menu and I had a few questions about it.
>>
>> Do I start of writing my code in a new .el file under "lisp" directory?
>>
> Add code to .emacs file.
>
>  Do I have to compile emacs and install it everytime I make some changes
>> and want to test it?
>>
> No, emacs can source both *.el or *.elc(compiled). Prefer later.
>
>  I need to create a new menu item and perform a couple of simple tasks.
>> Please let me know how I can proceed .
>>
> Use "easy-menu-define".
>
>  Any links or suggestions would be extremely helpful.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Supreet
>>

> David

* Re: New menu creation
@ 2010-05-27 18:35       ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-05-27 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supreet prasad; +Cc: Emacs-devel

2010-05-27 20:01, supreet prasad skrev:
> Hello David,
>
> Thanks for taking your time and helping me out here. I really appreciate it.
> I was able to create menus.
>
> I now need to know the name of the file in use and find out if a
> particular file exists in some location and do some stuff accordingly.
> How do I proceed?

% emacs
C-h i m e l i s p <return> m b u f f e r s <return>
m b u f f e r   f i l e <return>

	Jan D.