* Another problem with 'bidi-display-reordering'?
@ 2010-05-21 23:22 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2010-05-21 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Emacs

Eli,

perhaps I have found another problem with 'bidi-display-reordering' :(

To reproduce:

$ emacs -Q &

Then in the Scratch buffer:

(setq-default bidi-display-reordering t)

and C-M-x

Now: C-f C-x test_wheel.txt (the attached file, which contains 6 long
lines).

Go to the end of the file: C-End

Now, when one tries to scroll upward the file moving _slowly_ the mouse
wheel, it seems to 'bounce', i.e. it 'returns' a little back. Only
persevering, the scrolling continues. Also selecting text with mouse-1
pressed seems not simple.

May you reproduce the above? Without setting 'bidi-display-reordering'
seems to work better.

Ciao,
Angelo.

[-- Attachment #2: test_wheel.txt.bz2 --]

* Re: Another problem with 'bidi-display-reordering'?
@ 2010-05-22  5:56 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-05-22  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 01:22:38 +0200
> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it>
> CC: Emacs <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Go to the end of the file: C-End
>
> Now, when one tries to scroll upward the file moving _slowly_ the mouse
> wheel, it seems to 'bounce', i.e. it 'returns' a little back. Only
> persevering, the scrolling continues. Also selecting text with mouse-1
> pressed seems not simple.

This problem is easier to see if you just press C-p from the end of
the file.  The scrolling that you see for each C-p you type should not
happen.  That's what explains the wheel behavior.

I know about this problem, and in fact, am working on it as we speak.
Feel free to file a bug.

Thanks.

* Re: Another problem with 'bidi-display-reordering'?
@ 2010-05-30 19:54   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-05-30 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: angelo.graziosi, emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 08:56:13 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 01:22:38 +0200
> > From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it>
> > CC: Emacs <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> >
> > Go to the end of the file: C-End
> >
> > Now, when one tries to scroll upward the file moving _slowly_ the mouse
> > wheel, it seems to 'bounce', i.e. it 'returns' a little back. Only
> > persevering, the scrolling continues. Also selecting text with mouse-1
> > pressed seems not simple.
>
> This problem is easier to see if you just press C-p from the end of
> the file.  The scrolling that you see for each C-p you type should not
> happen.  That's what explains the wheel behavior.
>
> I know about this problem, and in fact, am working on it as we speak.

Forgot to tell: this should be fixed now, since revno 100475.

* Re: Another problem with 'bidi-display-reordering'?
@ 2010-05-30 22:38     ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2010-05-30 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Il 30/05/2010 21.54, Eli Zaretskii ha scritto:
>> Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 08:56:13 +0300
>> From: Eli Zaretskii<eliz@gnu.org>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>>> Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 01:22:38 +0200
>>> From: Angelo Graziosi<angelo.graziosi@alice.it>
>>> CC: Emacs<emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>>>
>>> Go to the end of the file: C-End
>>>
>>> Now, when one tries to scroll upward the file moving _slowly_ the mouse
>>> wheel, it seems to 'bounce', i.e. it 'returns' a little back. Only
>>> persevering, the scrolling continues. Also selecting text with mouse-1
>>> pressed seems not simple.
>>
>> This problem is easier to see if you just press C-p from the end of
>> the file.  The scrolling that you see for each C-p you type should not
>> happen.  That's what explains the wheel behavior.
>>
>> I know about this problem, and in fact, am working on it as we speak.
>
> Forgot to tell: this should be fixed now, since revno 100475.

Confirmed! :-)

(PS. but 'bidi-display-reordering' is still 'nil' by default. Right?)

Thanks,
Angelo.

* Re: Another problem with 'bidi-display-reordering'?
@ 2010-05-31  3:02       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-05-31  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 00:38:11 +0200
> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Forgot to tell: this should be fixed now, since revno 100475.
>
> Confirmed! :-)

Thanks.

> (PS. but 'bidi-display-reordering' is still 'nil' by default. Right?)

Not yet.  Soon, I hope.