* install for x11 on mac os x
@ 2004-12-06 13:44 Dimitri Hendriks
From: Dimitri Hendriks @ 2004-12-06 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Dimitri Hendriks

I'm trying to install emacs in mac os x, but I run into problems.
Can you help me out?

Here's what I did:

cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
cd emacs
./configure --with-x --without-carbon
make bootstrap

This all seems to work fine.
Unfortunately, it only gives me a terminal-mode emacs, which is not I
want!
I want it to be running under the X11, an X window server and the full
GUI
as UNIX users are used to.
The behaviour I have is as if I had not set the $DISPLAY variable, but
I did!
Moreover, other X programs do behave as expected.

What's wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Dimitri Hendriks

ps. I also tried the so-called carbon version
(with ./configure --with-carbin --without-x),
but when I try to open emacs/mac/Emacs.app I get the message:
"You cannot open the application "Emacs" because it may be damaged or
incomplete".

* Re: install for x11 on mac os x
@ 2004-12-06 13:49 ` Stefan
From: Stefan @ 2004-12-06 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
> cd emacs
> ./configure --with-x --without-carbon
> make bootstrap

> Unfortunately, it only gives me a terminal-mode emacs, which is not I want!
> I want it to be running under the X11, an X window server and the full GUI
> as UNIX users are used to.
> The behaviour I have is as if I had not set the $DISPLAY variable, but
> I did!
> Moreover, other X programs do behave as expected.

It works here.  How do you start your Emacs?  What did the ./configure step
say at the end (did it say it was going to use LUCID or somesuch)?

* install for x11 on mac os x
@ 2004-12-06 14:18 ` Gian Uberto Lauri
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2004-12-06 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

DH> This all seems to work fine.
DH> Unfortunately, it only gives me a terminal-mode emacs, which is not I
DH> want!

Mac OS X environment lacks the DISPLAY variable. I think that you need
to set it to :0 in the environment of the process that launches Emacs.

DH> "You cannot open the application "Emacs" because it may be damaged or
DH> incomplete".

Strange, I built it and use it without problems.

--
 /\            ___
/___/\__|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____________________

* Re: install for x11 on mac os x
@ 2004-12-06 18:33 ` chad brown
From: chad brown @ 2004-12-06 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> ps. I also tried the so-called carbon version
> (with ./configure --with-carbin --without-x),
> but when I try to open emacs/mac/Emacs.app I get the message:
> "You cannot open the application "Emacs" because it may be damaged or
> incomplete".

You want to base your build on ``./configure --enable-carbon-app
--without-x''.  At that point, you should be able to use `open -a
Emacs', the Finder, etc.

*chad