Now that you're preparing for emacs 23.2, could you please apply the cygwin patches that I submitted last June? http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-06/msg00041.html http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-06/msg00330.html For your convenience, I've remade the patches against the current CVS source and attached them to this message. I don't want to repeat the rationale for the patches that was already made in the threads cited above, but let me just add two comments: 1. The patches to browse-url.el and cygwin.h fix cygwin problems and should have no impact on other systems. 2. I built the official cygwin emacs-23.1 package with these patches, and there have been no reported problems after several months of use. Thanks for your consideration. Ken