* emacs 23 under wine...
@ 2009-08-26 19:46 David De La Harpe Golden
From: David De La Harpe Golden @ 2009-08-26 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Runs... exhibits some nasty draw glitches upon scrolling by less than
whole pages though.  I presently don't know if it's wine happening to
expose some odd problem in w32 emacs redraw  or (I guess rather more
likely) a wine-side bug.

I found it also "nearly" bootstraps with mingw under
wine, with only a few immediately apparent problems (no doubt there
could be many creeping hidden ones...):

* wine's cmd.exe chokes on parts of configure.bat, but wine's cmd.exe
apparently has several known issues, including not supporting a "copy
a+b c" syntax (microsoft's idea of cat, apparently) which of course
configure.bat uses  heavily.  There are other non-microsoft cmd.exes
which fare better, though I ended up manually doing a bunch of stuff.

* a known wine bug regarding popen() that affects windres.exe calls
from within scripts (but not at toplevel).

Could be just my unfamiliarity:

* something hangs during compilation of tramp that I haven't resolved
yet, though it could be similar to:

* Depending on which version of which w32 diff and patch port (there
seem to be quite a few floating about...) you have installed, ediff
compilation hangs. I guess that might happen on windows too, but I
don't really know.

Neither tramp nor ediff are critical for my immediate purposes, just
mentioning because you have to kill the relevant subprocess to allow the
build to proceed.

* Re: emacs 23 under wine...
@ 2009-08-26 21:25 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2009-08-26 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David De La Harpe Golden; +Cc: Emacs developers

2009/8/26 David De La Harpe Golden <david@harpegolden.net>:
> Runs... exhibits some nasty draw glitches upon scrolling by less than
> whole pages though.  I presently don't know if it's wine happening to
> expose some odd problem in w32 emacs redraw  or (I guess rather more
> likely) a wine-side bug.
>
> I found it also "nearly" bootstraps with mingw under
> wine, with only a few immediately apparent problems (no doubt there
> could be many creeping hidden ones...):
>
> * wine's cmd.exe chokes on parts of configure.bat, but wine's cmd.exe
> apparently has several known issues, including not supporting a "copy
> a+b c" syntax (microsoft's idea of cat, apparently) which of course
> configure.bat uses  heavily.  There are other non-microsoft cmd.exes which
> fare better, though I ended up manually doing a bunch of stuff.
>
> * a known wine bug regarding popen() that affects windres.exe calls
> from within scripts (but not at toplevel).
>
> Could be just my unfamiliarity:
>
> * something hangs during compilation of tramp that I haven't resolved
> yet, though it could be similar to:
>
> * Depending on which version of which w32 diff and patch port (there
> seem to be quite a few floating about...) you have installed, ediff
> compilation hangs. I guess that might happen on windows too, but I
> don't really know.
>
> Neither tramp nor ediff are critical for my immediate purposes, just
> mentioning because you have to kill the relevant subprocess to allow the
> build to proceed.

Just curious: what's the reason for running Emacs under Wine?

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: emacs 23 under wine...
@ 2009-08-26 21:34 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-08-26 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David De La Harpe Golden; +Cc: Emacs developers

David De La Harpe Golden wrote:
> Runs... exhibits some nasty draw glitches upon scrolling by less than
> whole pages though.  I presently don't know if it's wine happening to
> expose some odd problem in w32 emacs redraw  or (I guess rather more
> likely) a wine-side bug.
It's quite likely that Emacs exposes bugs in Wine - the drawing is quite
different than the standard Windows way of doing things.

* Re: emacs 23 under wine...
@ 2009-08-26 23:03   ` David De La Harpe Golden
From: David De La Harpe Golden @ 2009-08-26 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: Emacs developers

Deniz Dogan wrote:

> Just curious: what's the reason for running Emacs under Wine?

Expanding select-active-regions capabilities in a controlled manner on
w32. A few weeks back, there was some confusion as to what it was for*,
and some valid criticism of the X11-specific nature of its
implementation. I said I'd try to look at cross-platform-ising it better
while allowing it to (optionally!) affect clipboard as well as primary
as Eli desired, and I am doing so.

However, I have no access to microsoft windows, so seeing if emacs built
under wine was an interesting approach.  And... turns out it does,
pretty much. Very slow going though, it may be another week before I
feel like revisiting it for the next step.

* propagating active region contents to the primary X11 selection
without affecting the clipboard X11 selection or kill-ring.

* Re: emacs 23 under wine...
@ 2009-08-27  3:19     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-08-27  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David De La Harpe Golden; +Cc: Emacs developers, Deniz Dogan

>> Just curious: what's the reason for running Emacs under Wine?
> Expanding select-active-regions capabilities in a controlled manner on w32.

;-)
If you find patches useful to make it work better, send them along.
We may even end up accepting them.

* Re: emacs 23 under wine...
@ 2009-08-27 13:47 ` Stephen Eilert
From: Stephen Eilert @ 2009-08-27 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)