* Can't reply to bug mailing list
@ 2010-07-11 13:58 Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2010-07-11 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

for some reason I can't reply to bugs on the bug-gnu-emacs list. I can
post new bugs, but my replies to existing bugs never show up on the
mailing list. All the messages are registered in the bug tracker though.

(See e.g. bugs #5856 #5924 #6304 #6607.)

It does not matter if I try to send to the bug-gnu-emacs<at>gnu.org or
the BUGNUMBER<at>debbugs.gnu.org address.

* Re: Can't reply to bug mailing list
@ 2010-07-11 18:45 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-07-11 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Johan Bockgård wrote:

> for some reason I can't reply to bugs on the bug-gnu-emacs list. I can
> post new bugs, but my replies to existing bugs never show up on the
> mailing list. All the messages are registered in the bug tracker though.
>
> (See e.g. bugs #5856 #5924 #6304 #6607.)

When debbugs resends your messages to the bug list, the receiving
server rejects them:

    2010-07-10 19:00:02 1OXip3-0003ft-OZ ** bojohan@gnu.org R=dnslookup
    T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    host eggs.gnu.org [140.186.70.92]: 550 Invalid address in message header

I wonder if it does not like the way your name is encoded.
See for example

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?msg=18;mbox=yes;bug=6607

From: bojohan@gnu.org (Johan =?UTF-8?Q?Bockg=C3=A5rd)?=

Extra characters after the closing ')'?

I would not know if this is a debbugs bug or not. Looks like it might
be, since the input messages do not have this form.

Try changing your name! :)

(BTW, it is not just replies, see eg #6607. The first message never
reached the list either.)

* Re: Can't reply to bug mailing list
@ 2010-07-12  5:32   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-07-12  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: help-debbugs

[ cc and followup-to help-debbugs@gnu.org; see start of thread at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-07/msg00463.html ]

Here is a minimal Perl file showing what happens.

The Debbugs's MIME.pm, with the decode and encode functions, can be
viewed at eg

http://bzr.donarmstrong.com/debbugs/branches/emacsbugs/Debbugs/MIME.pm

(I think that is essentially the same as the version in use.)

I guess this is a bug in the encode_rfc1522 function, but I don't
really know anything about encoding, so if anyone has any insight it
would be appreciated.

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;

use Debbugs::MIME qw(decode_rfc1522 encode_rfc1522);

my $str = 'bojohan@gnu.org (Johan =?utf-8?Q?Bockg=C3=A5rd?=)';
my $dec = decode_rfc1522($str);
my $enc = encode_rfc1522($dec);

print $enc, "\n";  # -> bojohan@gnu.org (Johan =?UTF-8?Q?Bockg=C3=A5rd)?=