Eli Zaretskii wrote: > I myself don't have time to work on this, and don't consider myself > enough of an expert on the XDG stuff anyway. So I will wait for a > couple of weeks for someone to pick up the gauntlet I'll give it a whirl. Proposed patch attached. This reflects the comments so far, except that it prefers the new (XDG-style) directory if it exists, as that gives the user a simple escape hatch. They can set XDG_CONFIG_DIR to /nowhere to go back to the old way, as an emergency fix to get Emacs up and running well enough to fix their configuration. In practice it appears that XDG_CONFIG_DIR is rarely if ever set, so this should be adequate as an escape hatch.