Resending this because it seems to have gotten lost along the way (at least from what I could tell): -------------- The subject states my specific objection to the current behavior. Yes, for many languages, it takes the same number of keystrokes to insert a comment character; however, there are languages/modes where this is *not* true (for example, C89 or anything based on XML). Additionally, it makes sense to have comment-dwim handle all cases of managing commented material and comments. The proposed diff adds the following additional behavior: If the point is at `line-beginning-position' (and the region is inactive), call `comment-region' on the whole line (unless the line consists of comments, in which case it calls `uncomment-region'). The patch is attached below: