* Making 23.2 release soon
@ 2010-05-07 20:47 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-05-07 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Since no additional regressions with respect to 23.1 have turned up
since the last pretest, I'll be making the Emacs 23.2 release sometime
in the next few hours.  Please refrain from making changes to the
emacs-23 branch until the release.  If you have any last minute issues,
please send me an email ASAP.

* Re: Making 23.2 release soon
@ 2010-05-07 21:04 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-05-07 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:47 PM, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
> Since no additional regressions with respect to 23.1 have turned up
> since the last pretest, I'll be making the Emacs 23.2 release sometime
> in the next few hours.  Please refrain from making changes to the
> emacs-23 branch until the release.  If you have any last minute issues,
> please send me an email ASAP.

Hi Chong,

What about the changes that Eli made for bug 6126? I do not know if it
is a regresssion, but it could be. (And the fixes avoids a fatal
crash.)

* Re: Making 23.2 release soon
@ 2010-05-07 21:41   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-05-07 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> What about the changes that Eli made for bug 6126? I do not know if it
> is a regresssion, but it could be. (And the fixes avoids a fatal
> crash.)

It is not a regression.

* RE: Making 23.2 release soon
@ 2010-05-07 21:43 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-05-07 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Chong Yidong', emacs-devel

> Since no additional regressions with respect to 23.1 have turned up
> since the last pretest, I'll be making the Emacs 23.2 release sometime
> in the next few hours.  Please refrain from making changes to the
> emacs-23 branch until the release.  If you have any last
> minute issues, please send me an email ASAP.

In the next few hours?

An Emacs binary was made available only two days ago (5/5). The source code for
rolling your own pretest was made available only four days ago (5/3).

Some potential pretesters have likely not even seen the announcement of that
pretest yet, let alone had a chance to download it and start using it to see
whether in fact "no additional regressions with respect to 23.1 have turned up
since the last pretest".

* Re: Making 23.2 release soon
@ 2010-05-07 23:07   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-05-07 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

> An Emacs binary was made available only two days ago (5/5). The source
> code for rolling your own pretest was made available only four days
> ago (5/3).
>
> Some potential pretesters have likely not even seen the announcement
> of that pretest yet, let alone had a chance to download it and start
> using it to see whether in fact "no additional regressions with
> respect to 23.1 have turned up since the last pretest".

The changes since 23.1.96 are very straightforward; 23.1.97 is intended
to catch only serious last-minute bugs.

* RE: Making 23.2 release soon
@ 2010-05-07 23:33     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-05-07 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Chong Yidong'; +Cc: emacs-devel

> > An Emacs binary was made available only two days ago (5/5).
> > The source code for rolling your own pretest was made
> > available only four days ago (5/3).
> >
> > Some potential pretesters have likely not even seen the announcement
> > of that pretest yet, let alone had a chance to download it and start
> > using it to see whether in fact "no additional regressions with
> > respect to 23.1 have turned up since the last pretest".
>
> The changes since 23.1.96 are very straightforward; 23.1.97
> is intended to catch only serious last-minute bugs.

So did you make the 97 pretest to catch those serious last-minute bugs? Or not?
What is the purpose of the 97 pretest?

* Re: Making 23.2 release soon
@ 2010-05-08  7:26     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-05-08  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: lennart.borgman, emacs-devel

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 17:41:55 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > What about the changes that Eli made for bug 6126? I do not know if it
> > is a regresssion, but it could be. (And the fixes avoids a fatal
> > crash.)
>
> It is not a regression.

Indeed.  The code in w32-shell-execute didn't change since Feb 2008,
so the same problem exists in Emacs 23.1.