* C-SPC C-<left> weirdness
@ 2008-09-17  4:38 Michael Olson
From: Michael Olson @ 2008-09-17  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm noticing that whenever I do the key sequence C-SPC, hold both keys,
then hit <left> multiple (at least three) times, the minibuffer flashes
rapidly with the messages "Mark deactivated" and "Mark activated".  This
is a regression that does not happen with my build from Sep. 12.  The
expectation is to keep the mark activated while pressing <left>.

--
|       Michael Olson  |  FSF Associate Member #652     |
| http://mwolson.org/  |  Hobbies: Lisp, HCoop          |

* Re: C-SPC C-<left> weirdness
@ 2008-09-17  6:22 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-09-17  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Olson; +Cc: emacs-devel

Michael Olson <mwolson@gnu.org> writes:
> I'm noticing that whenever I do the key sequence C-SPC, hold both keys,
> then hit <left> multiple (at least three) times, the minibuffer flashes
> rapidly with the messages "Mark deactivated" and "Mark activated".  This
> is a regression that does not happen with my build from Sep. 12.  The
> expectation is to keep the mark activated while pressing <left>.

Why would you continue to hold down C-SPC while hitting <left>?

If you hold down C-SPC, it's eventually going to start auto-repeating
(which would yield flashing messages like you see), though I imagine
<left> _should_ cause X to "cancel" the auto-repeat state of C-SPC
(it does for me); if not, I guess that could be an X bug.

[Repeating C-SPC seems to now toggle active mark state, which I guess is
new behavior (or at least I don't recall it seeing it before), but seems
reasonable enough.]

-Miles

--
Clarionet, n. An instrument of torture operated by a person with cotton in his
ears. There are two instruments that are worse than a clarionet -- two

* Re: C-SPC C-<left> weirdness
@ 2008-09-17  9:07   ` David De La Harpe Golden
From: David De La Harpe Golden @ 2008-09-17  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: Michael Olson, emacs-devel

Miles Bader wrote:
> Michael Olson <mwolson@gnu.org> writes:
>> This is a regression that does not happen with my build from Sep. 12.  The
>> expectation is to keep the mark activated while pressing <left>.
>
> [Repeating C-SPC seems to now toggle active mark state, which I guess is
> new behavior (or at least I don't recall it seeing it before), but seems
> reasonable enough.]

[See end of bug #40, toggling behaviour was there around april 2008, at
least for the transient-mark-mode on case]

* Re: C-SPC C-<left> weirdness
@ 2008-09-17 14:52   ` Michael Olson
From: Michael Olson @ 2008-09-17 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles.bader@necel.com> writes:

> Michael Olson <mwolson@gnu.org> writes:
>> I'm noticing that whenever I do the key sequence C-SPC, hold both
>> keys, then hit <left> multiple (at least three) times, the minibuffer
>> flashes rapidly with the messages "Mark deactivated" and "Mark
>> activated".  This is a regression that does not happen with my build
>> from Sep. 12.  The expectation is to keep the mark activated while
>> pressing <left>.
>
> Why would you continue to hold down C-SPC while hitting <left>?

It requires less coordination of finger movement.  Otherwise I'd have to
keep Control pressed and take the thumb off of SPC.

> If you hold down C-SPC, it's eventually going to start auto-repeating
> (which would yield flashing messages like you see), though I imagine
> <left> _should_ cause X to "cancel" the auto-repeat state of C-SPC
> (it does for me); if not, I guess that could be an X bug.

I guess the more precise description of the problem is that C-SPC
autorepeats when held down, and it shouldn't.  It didn't start doing
this until this week.  I'm going to try out the current HEAD code on
another machine today to see if it's just due to an upgrade of my home
machine.

--

@ 2008-09-17 17:09     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-09-17 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Olson; +Cc: emacs-devel

Michael Olson <mwolson@gnu.org> writes:
>> If you hold down C-SPC, it's eventually going to start auto-repeating
>> (which would yield flashing messages like you see), though I imagine
>> <left> _should_ cause X to "cancel" the auto-repeat state of C-SPC
>> (it does for me); if not, I guess that could be an X bug.
>
> I guess the more precise description of the problem is that C-SPC
> autorepeats when held down, and it shouldn't.  It didn't start doing
> this until this week.

Hmm, does this really have anything to do with Emacs though --
isn't it X that determines when/how to autorepeat?

-Miles

--
`...the Soviet Union was sliding in to an economic collapse so comprehensive
 that in the end its factories produced not goods but bads: finished products

* Re: C-SPC C-<left> weirdness
@ 2008-09-17 18:28       ` Michael Olson
From: Michael Olson @ 2008-09-17 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> Michael Olson <mwolson@gnu.org> writes:
>>> If you hold down C-SPC, it's eventually going to start
>>> auto-repeating (which would yield flashing messages like you see),
>>> though I imagine <left> _should_ cause X to "cancel" the auto-repeat
>>> state of C-SPC (it does for me); if not, I guess that could be an X
>>> bug.
>>
>> I guess the more precise description of the problem is that C-SPC
>> autorepeats when held down, and it shouldn't.  It didn't start doing
>> this until this week.
>
> Hmm, does this really have anything to do with Emacs though --
> isn't it X that determines when/how to autorepeat?

On my other machine, I am noticing that C-SPC does autorepeat, but not
when I hit C-SPC <left> and hold C-SPC.  This machine has an older
version of X.  So I guess it's an X bug.  I'm not sure how to go about
reporting this to the X.org maintainers.