* buff-menu.el no longer runs buffer-menu-mode-hook
@ 2008-09-03  1:45 Francis Litterio
From: Francis Litterio @ 2008-09-03  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

In CVS Emacs, function list-buffers no longer runs the hook
buffer-menu-mode-hook after creating the Buffer-menu-mode buffer.  This
used to happen.

In fact, there is no longer any reference to variable
buffer-menu-mode-hook in lisp/buff-menu.el.  I don't know if
define-derived-mode is supposed to define it and arrange for it to be
run, but it is not being run.
--
Fran

* Re: buff-menu.el no longer runs buffer-menu-mode-hook
@ 2008-09-03  2:05 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-09-03  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Francis Litterio; +Cc: emacs-devel

Francis Litterio wrote:
> In CVS Emacs, function list-buffers no longer runs the hook
> buffer-menu-mode-hook after creating the Buffer-menu-mode buffer.  This
> used to happen.
>
> In fact, there is no longer any reference to variable
> buffer-menu-mode-hook in lisp/buff-menu.el.  I don't know if
> define-derived-mode is supposed to define it and arrange for it to be
> run, but it is not being run.

It is supposed to be run and defined by define-derived-mode but it looks
like there is a mismatch in the name (buffer-menu-mode-hook instead of
Buffer-menu-mode-hook).

* Re: buff-menu.el no longer runs buffer-menu-mode-hook
@ 2008-09-03  2:55   ` Francis Litterio
From: Francis Litterio @ 2008-09-03  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

> Francis Litterio wrote:
>> In CVS Emacs, function list-buffers no longer runs the hook
>> buffer-menu-mode-hook after creating the Buffer-menu-mode buffer.  This
>> used to happen.
>>
>> In fact, there is no longer any reference to variable
>> buffer-menu-mode-hook in lisp/buff-menu.el.  I don't know if
>> define-derived-mode is supposed to define it and arrange for it to be
>> run, but it is not being run.
>
> It is supposed to be run and defined by define-derived-mode but it looks
> like there is a mismatch in the name (buffer-menu-mode-hook instead of
> Buffer-menu-mode-hook).

Thanks for catching that obvious solution.  It works if I pass the
symbol 'Buffer-menu-mode-hook (with a capital 'B') to add-hook.

Still, this is an incompatible change that breaks existing Elisp code.
--

@ 2008-09-03  4:07 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-09-03  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Francis Litterio; +Cc: emacs-devel

Francis Litterio wrote:

> In CVS Emacs, function list-buffers no longer runs the hook
> buffer-menu-mode-hook after creating the Buffer-menu-mode buffer.

fixed