* Rmail/mbox decoding
@ 2008-09-02 14:04 Paul Michael Reilly
From: Paul Michael Reilly @ 2008-09-02 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: handa, emacs-devel

One of the issues that Rmail/mbox needs to address is how to handle the
content type decoding in order to display a message correctly.  Is this
a sufficient question in order for you to weigh in and help us determine
what the correct thing to do is?

Thanks,

-pmr

* Re: Rmail/mbox decoding
@ 2008-09-02 18:32 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-09-02 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Michael Reilly; +Cc: emacs-devel, handa

> Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:04:19 -0400
> From: Paul Michael Reilly <pmr@pajato.com>
>
> One of the issues that Rmail/mbox needs to address is how to handle the
> content type decoding in order to display a message correctly.

What is different between what Rmail/mbox needs to do and what Rmail
does on the trunk now?

* Re: Rmail/mbox decoding
@ 2008-09-02 18:50   ` Paul Michael Reilly
From: Paul Michael Reilly @ 2008-09-02 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel, handa

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:04:19 -0400
>> From: Paul Michael Reilly <pmr@pajato.com>
>>
>> One of the issues that Rmail/mbox needs to address is how to handle the
>> content type decoding in order to display a message correctly.
>
> What is different between what Rmail/mbox needs to do and what Rmail
> does on the trunk now?

It's my understanding that Rmail/babyl uses Mule whereas Rmail/mbox does
not and that this is the root of the issue.  And that is about as deep
as my understanding goes ... at least right now.

-pmr

* Re: Rmail/mbox decoding
@ 2008-09-02 19:29     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-09-02 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Michael Reilly; +Cc: emacs-devel, handa

> Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 14:50:21 -0400
> From: Paul Michael Reilly <pmr@pajato.com>
> CC: handa@m17n.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:04:19 -0400
> >> From: Paul Michael Reilly <pmr@pajato.com>
> >>
> >> One of the issues that Rmail/mbox needs to address is how to handle the
> >> content type decoding in order to display a message correctly.
> >
> > What is different between what Rmail/mbox needs to do and what Rmail
> > does on the trunk now?
>
> It's my understanding that Rmail/babyl uses Mule whereas Rmail/mbox does
> not and that this is the root of the issue.

If by "uses Mule" you mean decoding non-ASCII text, then that's the
only way of decoding and encoding text in Emacs.  If Rmail/mbox wants
to be able to display non-ASCII text (and I'm sure it wants), it's
_got_ to "use Mule" for that.  Just like Rmail/Babyl does already.

* Re: Rmail/mbox decoding
@ 2008-09-03  2:35     ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2008-09-03  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Michael Reilly; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, handa, emacs-devel

Paul Michael Reilly writes:

 > It's my understanding that Rmail/babyl uses Mule whereas Rmail/mbox does
 > not and that this is the root of the issue.  And that is about as deep
 > as my understanding goes ... at least right now.

Ouch.  If that is true, this feature is definitely not ready for
landing until you get a review from somebody who understands Mule and
email.  Any of the Gnus guys, Simon Josefsson, Daiki Ueno, et al.