* Cygwin emacs - does it work?
@ 2008-08-05 13:53 Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-08-05 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

I just out of curiosity installed Cygwin Emacs. Now I am more curious
about why this version of Emacs is there.

For me nearly nothing works in this Emacs. For example typing C-c
results in C-g. Trying to examine a variable results in the error
message "Cannot open load file: pp". Trying to send a bug report I am
told that Emacs can not load emacsbug. Etc.

The about page says

   GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i686-pc-cygwin)
    of 2007-07-19 on HERRING

Is there anyone to contact about this?

* Re: Cygwin emacs - does it work?
@ 2008-08-05 14:05 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-08-05 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs Devel

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
> I just out of curiosity installed Cygwin Emacs. Now I am more curious
> about why this version of Emacs is there.

It certainly _used_ to work just fine, and is of course quite useful for
using with a cygwin installation.

I've only installed it from the standard cygwin package though...
[about 7 months ago]

I don't have a windows system now though.

-Miles

--
My spirit felt washed.  With blood.  [Eli Shin, on "The Passion of the Christ"]

* Re: Cygwin emacs - does it work?
@ 2008-08-05 14:09   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-08-05 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Miles Bader wrote:
> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>> I just out of curiosity installed Cygwin Emacs. Now I am more curious
>> about why this version of Emacs is there.
>
> It certainly _used_ to work just fine, and is of course quite useful for
> using with a cygwin installation.
>
> I've only installed it from the standard cygwin package though...
> [about 7 months ago]

I have installed it from the setup.exe that comes with cygwin. When you
say that it worked 7 months ago it reminds me that there was a new
release of the cygwin dll in may. Since I see things like C-c beeing
recieved by Emacs as C-g I guess that the new dll can be the problem.

It is however also an old version of Emacs they are distributing.

> I don't have a windows system now though.
>
> -Miles

* Re: Cygwin emacs - does it work?
@ 2008-08-05 14:35   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]     ` <48986930.2040107@harpegolden.net>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-08-05 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Miles Bader wrote:
> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>> I just out of curiosity installed Cygwin Emacs. Now I am more curious
>> about why this version of Emacs is there.
>
> It certainly _used_ to work just fine, and is of course quite useful for
> using with a cygwin installation.
>
> I've only installed it from the standard cygwin package though...
> [about 7 months ago]

I just installed the cygwin Emacs for X. I have never used X. When I try
to start Emacs now I get the rather incomprehensible:

   $ emacs
   emacs: Cannot connect to X server localhost:0.0.
   Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
   Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
   connections from your machine.

What?

* Re: Cygwin emacs - does it work?
@ 2008-08-05 14:55 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2008-08-05 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman wrote:

> I just out of curiosity installed Cygwin Emacs. Now I am more curious about why this version of Emacs is there.
>
> For me nearly nothing works in this Emacs. For example typing C-c results in C-g. Trying to examine a variable results in the error message "Cannot open load file: pp". Trying to send a bug report I am told that Emacs can not load emacsbug. Etc.
>
> The about page says
>

>   GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i686-pc-cygwin)
>    of 2007-07-19 on HERRING
>

> Is there anyone to contact about this?

Which package have you installed?

In Cygwin the current version of Emacs is 21.2-13, instead 22.1 is in
the test section, i.e. it is an experimental package.

It is more than an year that it is there without being promoted to
current because people reported it crashes (see [1] and its replays).

The fact is that since version 22 Emacs is unstable when built with
gcc-3.4.4 (the current version on Cygwin) and its maintainer on Cygwin
is waiting for 4... series, with which it is enough stable. Perhaps this
explain why 22.2 isn't neither in test version.

Following [1], you can find other useful information.

Cheers,
    Angelo.

---
[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-07/msg00609.html

* Re: Cygwin emacs - does it work?
       [not found]     ` <48986930.2040107@harpegolden.net>
@ 2008-08-05 15:04       ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-08-05 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David De La Harpe Golden, Emacs Devel

David De La Harpe Golden wrote:
> Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
>
>> I just installed the cygwin Emacs for X. I have never used X. When I try
>> to start Emacs now I get the rather incomprehensible:
>>
>>   $ emacs
>>   emacs: Cannot connect to X server localhost:0.0.
>>   Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
>>   Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
>>   connections from your machine.
>>
>> What?
>>

> Did you start the X server first?  It probably isn't set up to
> autostart.   (Also, you may have to install the X server via
> cygwin setup.exe if you haven't already)
>
> IIRC (okay, I googled) recent cygwin provides a batch file to start it
> for you. It may still be
> in c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\startxwin.bat
>
> Run it if it's there.

Thanks David, that worked. And the (old) Emacs for X could be started.
However it is version 21.

* Re: Cygwin emacs - does it work?
@ 2008-08-05 15:08 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-08-05 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Lennart Borgman wrote:
>
>> I just out of curiosity installed Cygwin Emacs. Now I am more curious
>> about why this version of Emacs is there.
>>
>> For me nearly nothing works in this Emacs. For example typing C-c
>> results in C-g. Trying to examine a variable results in the error
>> message "Cannot open load file: pp". Trying to send a bug report I am
>> told that Emacs can not load emacsbug. Etc.
>>
>> The about page says
>>

>>   GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i686-pc-cygwin)
>>    of 2007-07-19 on HERRING
>>

>> Is there anyone to contact about this?
>
> Which package have you installed?

The first I installed was

   Editors
     emacs: The extensible, customizable ...

That is the one which has the problems I reported above.

Then later I installed the X version

   Editors:
     emacs-X11: ...

This works (as far as I tested, I do not know Emacs 21 very well).

> In Cygwin the current version of Emacs is 21.2-13, instead 22.1 is in
> the test section, i.e. it is an experimental package.
>
> It is more than an year that it is there without being promoted to
> current because people reported it crashes (see [1] and its replays).
>
> The fact is that since version 22 Emacs is unstable when built with
> gcc-3.4.4 (the current version on Cygwin) and its maintainer on Cygwin
> is waiting for 4... series, with which it is enough stable. Perhaps this
> explain why 22.2 isn't neither in test version.

Thanks, I see, but then perhaps the package I installed should be
removed, because it does not work either (at least not for me).

@ 2008-08-05 15:19 ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2008-08-05 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

    Lennart> For example typing C-c results in C-g.

I think you need to set an environment variable before starting Cygwin
-- "set CYGWIN=tty" might do it.

In general though, I've found Cygwin emacs to be too frustrating to use;
I instead use the native Win32 emacs, but with lots of Cygwin tools such
as bash, coreutils, and find.
--
[T]he best strip of the last decade is "Dilbert", and it
sure isn't because of the drawing.

* Re: Cygwin emacs - does it work?
@ 2008-08-05 15:25   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-08-05 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Hanchrow; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eric Hanchrow wrote:

>     Lennart> For example typing C-c results in C-g.
>
> I think you need to set an environment variable before starting Cygwin
> -- "set CYGWIN=tty" might do it.

That is frustrating too ;-)

> In general though, I've found Cygwin emacs to be too frustrating to use;
> I instead use the native Win32 emacs, but with lots of Cygwin tools such
> as bash, coreutils, and find.

* Re: Cygwin emacs - does it work?
@ 2008-08-05 21:26   ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2008-08-05 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman (gmail) ha scritto:

> Eric Hanchrow wrote:
>> I think you need to set an environment variable before starting Cygwin
>> -- "set CYGWIN=tty" might do it.

> That is frustrating too ;-)

>> In general though, I've found Cygwin emacs to be too frustrating to use;
>> I instead use the native Win32 emacs, but with lots of Cygwin tools such
>> as bash, coreutils, and find.

Why 'frustrating'?

I start the GTK build of Emacs trunk (and the X server if needs) with a
link on the Desktop.

The target of the link is:

C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe bash -l start_emacs-X.sh

and

$ $ cat /usr/local/bin/start_emacs-X.sh
#!/bin/bash

#export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
export DISPLAY=:0

#export PATH=/usr/X11R6/bin:"$PATH"
# export XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults
# export XCMSDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Xcms.txt
# export XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
# export XNLSPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale

## --------------------------------------------------------

start_XWin()
{
     # Cleanup from last run.
     rm -rf /tmp/.X11-unix

     XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error +bs &
}

/usr/bin/checkX || start_XWin

## --------------------------------------------------------

## Workaround to use GTK build of Emacs
export G_SLICE=always-malloc

exec /usr/local/bin/emacs

The link can be created automatically running:

## Emacs
mkshortcut -A \
     -n Emacs \
     -D /usr/bin/run.exe \
     -a 'bash -l start_emacs-X.sh' \
     -i /usr/local/bin/emacs.ico \
     -d "Editor di testo" \
     -w ''

Cheers,
    Angelo.

---
Tu proverai si' come sa di sale
lo pane altrui, e come e' duro calle
lo scendere e 'l salir per l'altrui scale.
.
                   DANTE, Paradiso, xvii 58-60

* Re: Cygwin emacs - does it work?
       [not found]     ` <48986930.2040107@harpegolden.net>
@ 2008-08-07 11:24     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2008-08-07 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs Devel, Miles Bader

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Miles Bader wrote:
>> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I just out of curiosity installed Cygwin Emacs. Now I am more curious
>>> about why this version of Emacs is there.
>>
>> It certainly _used_ to work just fine, and is of course quite useful for
>> using with a cygwin installation.
>>
>> I've only installed it from the standard cygwin package though...
>> [about 7 months ago]
>

> I just installed the cygwin Emacs for X. I have never used X.

I use this for reading email with Gnus at work, because the mail
server requires 'starttls', which I could only get to work via Cygwin.

> When I try to start Emacs now I get the rather incomprehensible:
>
>   $ emacs
>   emacs: Cannot connect to X server localhost:0.0.
>   Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
>   Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
>   connections from your machine.
>
> What?

You need to start the X server first. I use:

export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0

XWin -clipboard -multiwindow -multimonitors -silent-dup-error -logverbose 0 &

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Cygwin emacs - does it work?
@ 2008-08-07 11:41       ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-08-07 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake; +Cc: Emacs Devel, Miles Bader

Stephen Leake wrote:
> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Miles Bader wrote:
>>> It certainly _used_ to work just fine, and is of course quite useful for
>>> using with a cygwin installation.
>>>
>>> I've only installed it from the standard cygwin package though...
>>> [about 7 months ago]
>>
>> I just installed the cygwin Emacs for X. I have never used X.
>
> I use this for reading email with Gnus at work, because the mail
> server requires 'starttls', which I could only get to work via Cygwin.
>
>> When I try to start Emacs now I get the rather incomprehensible:
>>
>>   $ emacs
>>   emacs: Cannot connect to X server localhost:0.0.
>>   Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
>>   Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
>>   connections from your machine.
>>
>> What?
>
> You need to start the X server first. I use:
>
> export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
>
> XWin -clipboard -multiwindow -multimonitors -silent-dup-error -logverbose 0 &

Thanks. That made it a bit more clear.