* a little feedback on Cocoa Emacs.app
@ 2008-07-26  2:11 Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 2008-07-26  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

A few early comments on Emacs.app, on Leopard:

1) Nice!  It built easily and launched without a problem.  My .emacs
code was thrown off a little by the change in window-system value, but
that's the only problem I've noticed so far.  (I've only used it for a
little while, though.)

2) Thank you for putting the size into the title bar while resizing!
Its absence was one of the most annoying things I found about the old
Carbon app.

3) I was surprised to see that the new Emacs.app is smaller than the
old (Carbon) one.  Then I noticed that there are no info files in the
new one; is that intentional?

4) You didn't fix the other thing I found annoying about Carbon
Emacs :-) ... under Spaces, I found it kind of annoying not to have a
"new window" option in the dock menu, so I can cause a new window to
come up without first having to select the application (which in
Spaces can cause a switch to a different space, then I have to create
the new window and then move it back to the space I want to use it
in).  Would this be tough to add?  I know nothing about the relevant
APIs....

5) The close button seems to be disabled when there's only one
window.  I'd rather see it quit Emacs like it used to in Carbon Emacs,
or be configurable to allow that.  Some apps will keep running with no
windows open, since you can open new ones from the menus or whatever,
but that may be too big a change for Emacs.

6) The File menu includes "make frame on display..." but as far as I
know, the display name parameter isn't used except under X, is it?
(The documentation specifically refers to X.)  Since "make frame" is
already there, this seems redundant.

Ken