* mktime not working?
@ 2008-07-16 20:39 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-07-16 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

when I do "./configure --with-ns" on my Debian testing machine, it hangs
on "checking for working mktime..." for a minute, and finally concludes
that mktime is not working.

Does anybody know what's up with that?

* Re: mktime not working?
@ 2008-07-16 21:02 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-07-16 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> when I do "./configure --with-ns" on my Debian testing machine, it hangs
> on "checking for working mktime..." for a minute, and finally concludes
> that mktime is not working.

It's some AC_FUNC_MKTIME/gcc thing. Eg:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-gcc/2008/03/msg00261.html

I noticed Andreas applied some manual configure tweak in rev 1.277.

* Re: mktime not working?
@ 2008-07-16 21:07   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-07-16 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

PS Probably running Debian testing's (patched?) autoconf will fix it.

* Re: mktime not working?
@ 2008-07-16 22:29 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2008-07-16 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: monnier

Stefan Monnier wrote:
 > when I do "./configure --with-ns" on my Debian testing machine, it
 > hangs on "checking for working mktime..." for a minute, and finally
 > concludes that mktime is not working.

Just for completeness... the same behaviour happens on Cygwin, using
gcc-4.3.1 and ./configure.

Cheers,
    Angelo.

* Re: mktime not working?
@ 2008-07-28 20:37 ` Kent Engstrom
From: Kent Engstrom @ 2008-07-28 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it> writes:
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> when I do "./configure --with-ns" on my Debian testing machine, it
>> hangs on "checking for working mktime..." for a minute, and finally
>> concludes that mktime is not working.
>
> Just for completeness... the same behaviour happens on Cygwin, using
> gcc-4.3.1 and ./configure.

Same on Fedora 9 too.

/ Kent Engström, Lysator

* Re: mktime not working?
@ 2008-07-29  7:01   ` Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2008-07-29  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Engstrom; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2008-07-28 22:37 +0200, Kent Engstrom wrote:

> Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it> writes:
>> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> when I do "./configure --with-ns" on my Debian testing machine, it
>>> hangs on "checking for working mktime..." for a minute, and finally
>>> concludes that mktime is not working.
>>
>> Just for completeness... the same behaviour happens on Cygwin, using
>> gcc-4.3.1 and ./configure.
>
> Same on Fedora 9 too.

It happens on all platforms with GCC 4.3.  The solution is to regenerate
`configure' with a recent version of autoconf (2.62, or Debian's 2.61-7).
See http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.general/126299.

Sven

* Re: mktime not working?
@ 2008-10-03 18:52     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-10-03 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Sven Joachim wrote:

> It happens on all platforms with GCC 4.3.  The solution is to regenerate
> `configure' with a recent version of autoconf (2.62, or Debian's 2.61-7).

This will keep coming back (as it just has done) unless we require all
developers to use Debian, which is impossible, or change to
AC_PREREQ(2.62).