* Improving cscope support in emacs
@ 2010-05-01  4:06 dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2010-05-01  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Development

Hello,
 I am trying to use cscope in emacs using the xcscope.el distributed along with cscope. It starts a cscope process for each command which makes it very slow compared to vim. There is a line oriented mode for interacting with a running cscope process which vim uses. This makes it real fast. There is an old cscope.el which does use the line oriented mode and is fast but it is quite dated.
 I would like to know if others have their own tweaks or hacks on using cscope in emacs or plans to provide native support to cscope like vim does (it is a build time option).

-dhruva

PS: Is this a wrong list to send this mail (should I be targeting cscope mailing lists)?

* Re: Improving cscope support in emacs
@ 2010-05-01  4:20 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-05-01  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: Emacs Development

dhruva <dhruva@ymail.com> writes:

> I would like to know if others have their own tweaks or hacks on using
> cscope in emacs or plans to provide native support to cscope like vim
> does (it is a build time option).

The Semantic package included in Emacs from 23.2 onward has optional
cscope integration.  I haven't had the time to look into how well it
works, tho.

* Re: Improving cscope support in emacs
@ 2010-05-01  4:27   ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2010-05-01  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Emacs Development

Hi,

From: Eric M. Ludlam @ 2010-05-01 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Emacs Development

On 05/01/2010 12:27 AM, dhruva wrote:
> Hi,

The cedet-cscope support just is about invoking cscope.  It is used by
EDE (file location) and the semantic-symref functions (symbol references.)

It could probably be used for tag lookup, but no-one has written that
interface yet.

It doesn't use the line interface because the different places from
which it is called can be for different locations, and possibly
different cscope dictionaries.  Not insurmountable, obviously, but I
took the easy route that mimicked GNU Global.

CScope itself has more features than what is used by the CEDET support,
so for the original question, it depends on if the EDE or Semantic
features covers what he wants to do.

Eric

* Re: Improving cscope support in emacs
@ 2010-05-01 13:33       ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2010-05-01 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric M. Ludlam; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Emacs Development

Hello,

CScope itself has more features than what is used by the CEDET
> support, so for the original question, it depends on if the EDE or Semantic
> features covers what he wants to do.

I personally am quite happy with GNU global. Since our build infrastructure generates cscope files, I thought of using it to find symbol references, definition and calling functions etc. etags does not support references to a symbol with which we can get calling functions information. Ideal would be for compiler to generate the tag information though.

-dhruva