* WS_EX_LAYERED not defined
@ 2008-07-04 13:58 David Robinow
From: David Robinow @ 2008-07-04 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

MSVC conditionally defines WS_EX_LAYERED (in winuser.h) only for
_WIN32_WINNT >= 0x0500, i.e. for Windows 2000 and above.

Since _WIN32_WINNT is set to 0x0400 in config.nt to enable support for
older systems, emacs will not currently compile. I'm not sure how best
to fix this. Since I don;'t have any ancient systems I've bumped
_WIN32_WINNT to 0x0500 on my system. I question whether continued
support of Windows cross-compilation is advisable but that's not my
call.

* Re: WS_EX_LAYERED not defined
@ 2008-07-07 11:05 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-07-07 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Robinow; +Cc: emacs-devel

David Robinow wrote:
> MSVC conditionally defines WS_EX_LAYERED (in winuser.h) only for
> _WIN32_WINNT >= 0x0500, i.e. for Windows 2000 and above.

Thanks, I have installed a workaround for this.

> I question whether continued support of Windows cross-compilation is
> advisable but that's not my call.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting here. That we drop support for all
but the most recent version of Windows, that we refuse to add new
features to Emacs unless they are supported by all versions of Windows,
or that we offer a separate download for every version of Windows with
the appropriate features enabled? I don't think any of these is a very
good solution for users compared with making the decision at runtime.