From: Paul Michael Reilly <pmr@pajato.com>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Another neat Eclipse'ism
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:11:04 -0400	[thread overview]

David Hansen wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 03:58:25 -0400 Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
>
>> While I try to do most of my editing from Emacs, occasionally I will
>> find myself using the Eclipse Java editor.  One of the more convenient
>> niceties, in the absence of auto-fill-mode, is having the print-margin
>> displayed.  This is a useful feature in its own right, i.e. show a 1
>> pixel background line in Emacs where the right margin is set.
>> Needless to say, I have not a clue how to implement it.
>
> Not 100% the same but there is column-marker-mode available (search the
> emacswiki).  It will highlight a given column iff the line is at least
> that long.

FWIW, column-marker.el is pretty cool but it pales by comparison to the
approach used in Eclipse.   The Eclipse solution is barely noticeable
whereas the Emacs highlighting solution is very much in your face. If
truth be told I like the merged notion of having multiple such column
indicators that can be tailored by width and face.  I have a strong
hunch they will need to be implemented at the C level.  I wonder how to
do that ... and if this is an itch I want to scratch right about now ...

-pmr