* On compilation mode and friends
@ 2008-06-08 10:41 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2008-06-08 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Usually, modern IDEs have a key-combination to start the build of a
program (for example, foo.c), then a key-combination to start the
program (if the build finishes without errors).

Now Emacs has M-x compile (or recompile) to start the build but: what
about to start the program? The only solution is to run ./foo in a shell
  or similar?

Besides a key-combination to start the program, perhaps Emacs should
have also an equivalent icon in the 'compilation' buffer.

Cheers,
    Angelo.

---
Tu proverai si' come sa di sale
lo pane altrui, e come e' duro calle
lo scendere e 'l salir per l'altrui scale.
.
                   DANTE, Paradiso, xvii 58-60

* Re: On compilation mode and friends
@ 2008-06-08 10:43 ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2008-06-08 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: emacs-devel

Tried using shell-command (bound to M-!)?

* Re: On compilation mode and friends
@ 2008-06-10  7:21   ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2008-06-10  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ams; +Cc: emacs-devel

Alfred M. Szmidt ha scritto:
> Tried using shell-command (bound to M-!)?

This isn't exactly what I asked for.

Your suggestion could be OK in case of applications which do not require
introducing input.

Suppose the program is

$ cat hello.F95
program hello
   implicit none
   integer :: i
   print *, 'i = '
   read *,i
   print *,i
   print *,'Hello World!'
end program hello

then

M-! ./hello

fails printing:

At line 5 of file hello.F95 (unit = 5, file = 'stdin')
Fortran runtime error: End of file
  i =

Cheers,
    Angelo.

* Re: On compilation mode and friends
@ 2008-06-10 17:26     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-06-10 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: ams, emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:21:33 +0200
> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Alfred M. Szmidt ha scritto:
> > Tried using shell-command (bound to M-!)?
>
> This isn't exactly what I asked for.
>
> Your suggestion could be OK in case of applications which do not require
> introducing input.
>
> Suppose the program is
>
> $ cat hello.F95
> program hello
>    implicit none
>    integer :: i
>    print *, 'i = '
>    read *,i
>    print *,i
>    print *,'Hello World!'
> end program hello
>
> then
>
> M-! ./hello
>
> fails printing:
>
> At line 5 of file hello.F95 (unit = 5, file = 'stdin')
> Fortran runtime error: End of file
>   i =

I think you want "M-x shell RET" or "M-x term RET", and then run the
program as if from the shell prompt.