* Regarding proc x_make_frame_visible in w32term.c
@ 2008-06-03 15:18 brianjiang
From: brianjiang @ 2008-06-03 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I use Emacs mostly in Windows XP. I found one behavior is quite
annoying when I am using emacsclient to open a file.  e.g., the emacs
frame is maximized and then I iconify it into the taskbar, if at this
time I open a file using emacsclient, the emacs frame is restored
to its normal size (not maximized any more). I want to keep the frame
maximized. Many people was bothered by this behavior as I know.

Although I have some tricks to change this behavior by hacking elisp,
I would still like to seek the possibility to change it gracefully.

I check the codes and find the following codes related to it:

w32term.c, proc x_make_frame_visible
/*      my_show_window (f, FRAME_W32_WINDOW (f), f->async_iconified ?
SW_RESTORE : SW_SHOW);  */
      my_show_window (f, FRAME_W32_WINDOW (f), SW_SHOWNORMAL);

The line commented is exactly what I want. I wonder why it is
commented out and replaced by "SW_SHOWNORMAL" one. Any consideration for
it? Can we change it back? I cannot find any description about it in
the change log.

* Re: Regarding proc x_make_frame_visible in w32term.c
@ 2008-06-09 23:49 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-06-09 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brianjiang; +Cc: emacs-devel

brianjiang@gdnt.com.cn wrote:
> w32term.c, proc x_make_frame_visible
> /* my_show_window (f, FRAME_W32_WINDOW (f), f->async_iconified ?
> SW_RESTORE : SW_SHOW); */
> my_show_window (f, FRAME_W32_WINDOW (f), SW_SHOWNORMAL);
> The line commented is exactly what I want. I wonder why it is
> commented out and replaced by "SW_SHOWNORMAL" one. Any consideration for
> it? Can we change it back? I cannot find any description about it in
> the change log.

That line has been commented out since it was added in 1997, the
SW_SHOWNORMAL version has always been there. Perhaps the maintainer at
the time was experimenting with improving the behavior, but some other
bug was interfering, so he left the line in a comment to come back to later.

I've swapped the lines over now, if problems start to surface regarding
iconifying and restoring frames, at least we can add a comment that
explains why that line is commented out.