Thanks mike, that made it clear that this problem is over my head. I am not sure if this is a bug or not. I am sending this on Emacs devel where I am sure there a people who understand this better than me. So the problem is this: - When mike or Shaowei loads the attached file they get the error below. - When I do it I get no error. Can someone please explain what is happening? I think mike has some more information about utf-8 environment, see below. ---------------- Subject: Re: error on nxhtml version higher than 1.03 mike yao wrote: > I have ran your code, there is same message: > Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-read-syntax "] in a list") > eval-buffer() ; Reading at buffer position 103 > call-interactively(eval-buffer nil nil) > > I also found that ran with emacs -Q, can't read the '«' character in > utf8-problem.el file, but in utf-8 enviroment, it can > > On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:14 AM, Lennart Borgman (gmail) > > wrote: > > Thanks Shaowei, this helped me (though it was not exactly what I meant). > > Can you try to load the attached file with > > M-x load-file > > Before loading it please do > > M-: (setq debug-on-error t) > > If you get an error trace back please send it to me.