* emacs 23 display is problematic
@ 2008-04-06  2:20 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-04-06  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I hate to say it, but my experience so far with Emacs 23 is disappointing. The
display seems, well, f***ed up. Frames that are not the last one displayed go
blank or partially blank (even the selected frame, if not the last displayed);
the scroll bar sometimes turns into only a narrow sliver; frames flash when I
scroll; frame colors and other parameters are not correct; and so on.

Besides display problems (or maybe it's also related to display - dunno), Emacs
23 is  v e r y  slow in general.

Emacs 22 went through a rough period wrt frames too, so I don't despair - I'm
sure these problems will get ironed out. But it's a bummer that so much has
changed wrt the display of frames. Dunno if this is a Windows-only thing or not.
Anyone else seeing weird stuff like this?

Anyway, I don't mean to be discouraging, and I'll report bugs more specifically
as I am able to, but so far,...

(I'm using this: GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-04-04 on
LENNART-69DE564.)

* Re: emacs 23 display is problematic
@ 2008-04-06  3:14 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-04-06  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 19:20:57 -0700
>
> I hate to say it, but my experience so far with Emacs 23 is disappointing. The
> display seems, well, f***ed up. Frames that are not the last one displayed go
> blank or partially blank (even the selected frame, if not the last displayed);
> the scroll bar sometimes turns into only a narrow sliver; frames flash when I
> scroll; frame colors and other parameters are not correct; and so on.
>
> Besides display problems (or maybe it's also related to display - dunno), Emacs
> 23 is  v e r y  slow in general.

That is normal for a development version that had several radical
changes made in it, early in the development cycle.  If you cannot
afford such problems, don't use the trunk version until it stabilizes.

> Anyway, I don't mean to be discouraging

Well, you are.  So please don't be.

* Re: emacs 23 display is problematic
@ 2008-04-08  1:56 ` Kyle M. Lee
From: Kyle M. Lee @ 2008-04-08  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

Drew Adams 写道:
> I hate to say it, but my experience so far with Emacs 23 is disappointing. The
> display seems, well, f***ed up. Frames that are not the last one displayed go
> blank or partially blank (even the selected frame, if not the last displayed);
> the scroll bar sometimes turns into only a narrow sliver; frames flash when I
> scroll; frame colors and other parameters are not correct; and so on.
>
> Besides display problems (or maybe it's also related to display - dunno), Emacs
> 23 is  v e r y  slow in general.
I added arg to the shortcut of runemacs.exe, something like
"D:\apps\emacs\bin\runemacs.exe --disable-font-backend". It will run
faster. This is from the previous maillist discussion.

And I tried to compile cvs emacs by using mingw-gcc with "extreme"
optimized options. It's seemed will break the emacs.

> Emacs 22 went through a rough period wrt frames too, so I don't despair - I'm
> sure these problems will get ironed out. But it's a bummer that so much has
> changed wrt the display of frames. Dunno if this is a Windows-only thing or not.
> Anyone else seeing weird stuff like this?
The same emacs 23 is much faster on my Ubuntu box than WinXP.